Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I'm mid way through timing belt change on my 156 v6. next job is to free the cam pulley from the cams to allow the new belt to be tensioned. I've got the bolts in the ends of the cams loose, but how do you get the pulley free from the cam? Is there a tool that can be bought/made for this?

cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
have you got them removed yet?
The reason I asked is that I am about to change my cambelt and was wondering how to get the pulleys loose.
rgds greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 2 or 3 leg puller would be fine if the engine was out of the car, but with it in there not enough room to get one in there. I haven't seen any short enough to fit between the pulley and the chassis leg.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can try this method - it worked on my 166.

Loosen the pulley nuts by 1 turn (do not remove them completely).

On the LH head (the front one) there's a hole in upper rear timing cover where you can see the rear edges of the cam pulleys. Using an aluminium drift give the pulley a sharp rap and the taper grip will break.

When the LH head pulleys are removed you can get the RH (the rear head) pulleys as follows:

There's a bolt head behind the inlet cam pulley at the same radius as the rim of the pulley. Insert a tapered bar such as a big screwdriver or a chisel between the bolt head and the rim and give it a sharp rap. The taper grip will break.

Use a similar method for the exhaust cam pulley.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Loosen camshaft pulley locking bolt a couple of turns (after locking camshafts in position). Then get a brass rod/drift and place end of this drift on the bottom edge of one of the large round holes that are in the pulleys. Hit the top end of the drift sharply with a hammer and the pulley will easily separate from the tapered camshaft. Procedure only takes a couple of seconds and all pulleys can be loosened in same manner.

Good luck...
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts