Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my diagnostic kit is all working and the new rad is fitted I gave the engine a run to see what was putting my EML on.
Turns out it's indicating the cam sensor so I wondered if this is a common failure on the Ph1 TS?
Also can it be changed without taking all belts off or can it be done from behind?
Belts are being changed anyway but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now that my diagnostic kit is all working and the new rad is fitted I gave the engine a run to see what was putting my EML on.
Turns out it's indicating the cam sensor so I wondered if this is a common failure on the Ph1 TS?
Also can it be changed without taking all belts off or can it be done from behind?
Belts are being changed anyway but I thought I'd ask.
I've not changed one myself - but the sensor is located behind the exhaust cam sprocket and I believe this requires the sprocket to be removed in order to replace the sensor.

Someone else can correct me but I guess you have a choice either of removing the sprocket from the cam (will need a tool to hold the sprocket) or the entire camshaft from the head.

DEFINITELY something to be done while the belts are being changed, though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
I'll be pulling the cover tomorrow probably as I have an oil leak behind there somewhere and am expecting to have to replace seals.
My hope was that the sensor has got oil on it and will clean up and clear the fault but if it needs changing then so be it.
The engine sounds quite sweet after it's warmed up, did have a bit of tappet noise initially that I'm hoping isn't the variator but it soon cleared.
Gave it an oil change as it was probably due one so I'll see what it sounds like tomorrow from cold.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also add that I disconnected the sensor whilst the engine was running to check the connectors and it had no effect.
I thought that it would cut out but no.
Also the exhaust is still off the car if that would make a difference?

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
I have changed one and they tend to fail when the correct tool is not used when changing cambelt, the inner ring that the sensor shadows gets bent and destroys the sensor. I believe you can change it with the sprocket in place but why bother? A cambelt is only £25-30.
Take the sprocket off and check the ring is perfectly curved and not fouling the sensor otherwise you will be doing the job again tomorrow. Then just install a new belt if the tensioners are relatively new.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've been running my 97 Twinnie Spider for six years with a duff Cam Position Sensor. Seems to not make an iota of difference. I had it replaced soon after acquiring the car and it immediately failed. With the crazy prices here I have just left it. I get 9.8 Lit /100Km on average with long trips a bit better and busy town driving about 10.1 Lit/100Km. She starts on the first swing and pulls like a demon. No complaints here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm doing the belts next week anyway and it would really bug me to have an engine management light on, plus if you get another fault you won't know.
I'm going to take the covers off and see if it's damaged and give it a clean and see what happens.
If I still have the fault after cleaning it I'll put a new one in.
The car is being restored so I want it right :thumbu p:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts