Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was sitting here looking at the GTA out on the drive... I have had some sort of bearing failure, big end or main, on the camshaft and I try to figure out why, theortically...

I also have a rather heavy clutch and I think it is due to wear as it has done 160000 km. Could this have attributed to excessive bearing wear? Do I need to change clutch and thrust washers when fixing the bearings?

/Thomas

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Bearing failure is usually due to poor oil condition or pump failure not due to a heavy clutch. most of the gtas suffer heavy clutches towards the end of the clutch life.. doesn't tend to affect bearings.

if rebuilding the bottom end i would always replace all bearings ( big ends mains and thrusts ) and oil pump with a very very good block clean out including all oil ways.

if the engine is out then i would always replace the clutch unless done very recently as its so much easier..

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
Heavy clutches wear out thrust washers. Once thrust washers start to have any play in them this affects big & main end bearings as the crank clonks back and forth. But I have hardly seen any GTAs where a heavy clutch has actually led to thrust washers wearing out. Maybe 3 or 4 engines when I was at Autolusso in Bedfordshire and I know they had one in at Autolusso Bournemouth just recently with worn thrust washers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts