Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
I have a TZ9, which is great in good light, but I've found the performance in low light conditions a bit disappointing. The pictures come out rather grainy and washed out.

Being a photography dunce, I mainly keep it on iAuto, but even in the pre-set night settings the pics aren't much better.

Is this also your experience, or is there anything I can do to improve this? :confused:
Stick it in manual mode, restrict the auto ISO to 400 and you won't get photos that are too grainy. The camera will select a slower shutter so you will need to make sure you hold it steady.

I think All CCD equipped compacts struggle at ISO levels over around 400. The later Backside illuminated CMOS sensor compacts are much better in low light, but the ones I have seen produce inferior images in good light.

In good light the images produced by the TZ8 arn't far off those from my Nikon SLR

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Stick it in manual mode, restrict the auto ISO to 400 and you won't get photos that are too grainy. The camera will select a slower shutter so you will need to make sure you hold it steady.

I think All CCD equipped compacts struggle at ISO levels over around 400. The later Backside illuminated CMOS sensor compacts are much better in low light, but the ones I have seen produce inferior images in good light.

In good light the images produced by the TZ8 arn't far off those from my Nikon SLR
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go :thumbs:

hello stranger! :thumbs:

how the devil are you? long time no speak. how's tricks? Are you going to pop in and see us a bit more regularly? :thumbs:

Crumbs, that's an old post! :lol: I didn't buy a camera until 2007, my trusty little Canon Ixus. For point and shoot, it's fine ;) :) :thumbs:
Hello G - good to see you again :cool:. Hope all's well in your little world :)

Hoping to pop in every now and then, just to make sure you guys are behaving :p ;)

I changed jobs back in 2008, to one where I actually had to work for a living :rolleyes: - which is why I pretty much stopped posting.

Hopefully, I can find a work-post balance in life now :D

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
When I say manual mode I mean the P setting by the way, which is and auto mode but with customisable settings.

In the P setting you can also change the contrast, noise reduction, sharpness, and colour saturation of your images.

The TZ9 had a fully manual mode (M) where you can control aperture and shutter speed. Personally I don't bother, as I have an SLR if I want to mess about with stuff like that.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
When I say manual mode I mean the P setting by the way, which is and auto mode but with customisable settings.

In the P setting you can also change the contrast, noise reduction, sharpness, and colour saturation of your images.

The TZ9 had a fully manual mode (M) where you can control aperture and shutter speed. Personally I don't bother, as I have an SLR if I want to mess about with stuff like that.

Oops! Cheers :thumbs: - I was going to use the M setting (and would probably end up very confused indeed! :confused:)

I've always said I wanted to learn how to take proper photos, but never got round to it. It seemed pointless learning the technical skills when I'm not convinced I have a good enough "eye".

I see what I think might be a great potential picture, but I never seem to be able to capture the right moment or get the framing right etc. :(

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
There may be others with large sensors (i.e. > 4/3), but these will be a few quid less than the Leica:
Fujifilm FinePix X100: Digital Photography Review
Fujifilm X-Pro1: Digital Photography Review
Sony Alpha NEX-F3: Digital Photography Review
Canon PowerShot G1 X: Digital Photography Review

For lens quality, fixed focal length is better than zoom. For the body, bigger sensor is better than more pixels. A full frame 4Mp sensor will give better images than an 8Mp phone, if you're blowing them up.

Saying that, I recently entered 4 photos in a competition, 3 taken on high end gear (7D/5DII) the other taken on an iPhone. Of the multitude of entries, the winner was the one taken on my iPhone.
The pro photographer who judged the contest saw me with my 5DII over my shoulder and asked me what settings I'd used, what lens, etc. When I told her it was taken with my phone, she was shocked.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts