Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I've seen this issue kicked around a bit in these forums and have read all of them, but wanted to check my conclusion.

I had all the suspension done on my Spider (new bushes all round etc) and then a four wheel alignment done. The print-out I have from the garage shows that they didn't adjust the camber of the front and rear wheels. According to the tolerances on the print-out, three out of the four wheels are out of alignment. The near-side rear is particularly bad and is very visibly leaning. The figures are as follows:

Left front: -1d02' (tolerance = -0d19' to -0d59')
Right front: -0d49' (tolerance as above)

Left rear: -2d31' (tolerance = -0d45' to -1d25')
Right rear: -1d47' (tolerance = -1d25' to -0d45')

I've read on these forums that the camber isn't adjustable (which perhaps explains why they've left it). Other forums suggest it can be adjusted, but it's not official and involves drilling bits of the suspension which sounds quite interesting!

So, my conclusion from all of this is "don't worry about it". Is this right?

Also, why are there tolerances if it isn't supposed to be adjusted? And if it's set at the factory to be correct, and I've just had my suspension re-done, why isn't it within tolerance anyway?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
The front camber is adjustable on 916 Alfas with camber bolts, but I personally have never done this.

The rear camber is not adjustable, well not 'formally' anyway. More importantly make sure the rear toe has been adjusted correctly - if a wheel toe-in is too pronounced this can be seen visually and appears to make the wheel lean in too much.

Make sure rear toe has been adjusted properly first (with the swivel rods running from the subframe to the hub on each side) plus all bushes etc are in excellent condition, before worrying about the camber.

I presume your Spider has not been lowered with performance springs?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Neither front nor rear camber are adjustable, unless you wish to "modify" certain components. The only figure I see that might be of concern is the left rear. It's possible this is the result of some accident damage in the past, and something is slightly bent. If all the other figures are correct, and the car drives OK, I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

No, the car has not been lowered.

Will the camber have a detrimental effect on tyre wear please? All of the other figures are within tolerance.

K

·
0 Posts
Will the camber have a detrimental effect on tyre wear please? All of the other figures are within tolerance.
Probably a bit but not anywhere as the extent at which poor toe alignment does.

Most complaints about tyre wear on this forum are connected to toe alignment.

At least your wheels are still pointing in the direction of travel. When the toe is off the tyre is being dragged across the road sideways.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Neither front nor rear camber are adjustable, unless you wish to "modify" certain components. The only figure I see that might be of concern is the left rear. It's possible this is the result of some accident damage in the past, and something is slightly bent. If all the other figures are correct, and the car drives OK, I wouldn't worry too much.
I would take this advice with a pinch of salt:lol:

If all suspension components appear to be ok and there is no accident damage then I wouldn't leave it as it is. As I've said get your Spider tracked correctly first, make sure the rear toe is adjusted correctly first, then the fronts. At the same time get a visual inspection done underneath to make sure the subframe is ok and there is no damage or wear here and with all the suspension components. The rear set-up on the 916 cars is fairly sophisticated, it is prone to wear, all of which may lead to camber problems. But as KungFuPanda suggests, toe alignment is crucial: get it done properly and then once sorted take it from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts