Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick question guys,

I'm interested in a 166 Super that's for sale and it has 90,000 on the clock. It had the belts done at 70,000. But that was back in 2001.

So really, they will need doing fairly quickly. But here's the question; Has anyone actually had belts go because of the AGE of them? Or has it always been mileage that's seen the cars belts off?

As I can't recall a single thread saying that their car's belts went due to old age rather than wear trough mileage. :confused:

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers,
Darren

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Rubber degrades over time. An old yet lower milage belt would more likely strip teeth (not good) rather than snap like a higher mileage belt.

Take it easy and get the belt replaced as soon as you can.

Is a 166 not a bit "mature" for someone of your age?

·
Registered
38,440 Posts
I always thought it was the tensioners that caused 90% of the problems. I suppose they could degrade internally as well due to damp ingress.
If you get the car I would budget to get it done, and at the same time get the GTV waterpump fitted, as I am sure even the 3 litre 166's used the plastic impeller variant.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I always thought it was the tensioners that caused 90% of the problems. I suppose they could degrade internally as well due to damp ingress.
Correct, that is why they only last 50'000 miles instead of 72'000 miles (more so for the t-spark).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah right, cheers guys, I'll budget to get it done then. The car's up for £2450 ONO so I'll have to haggle a bit.

I'll have to check with him to see if the tensioners were upgraded to metal as opposed to the garbage plastic ones.

Also, I thought that the 166 Supers had a metal impellor for the water pump??? :confused:

Oh, and how much does it cost to change the cambelt on a 166 Super?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts