Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their cambelt on a GT JTDm without using the special tools I only ask as im doing mine next weekend along with water pump ..I did my 156 1.8 tspark using only tipex to mark the location of cams and crank but the JTDm looks a little more complicated and im not prepared to pay £500 if i can do it myself...I already have the parts (£130) and i am a mechanic albeit a hgv one so i have all the relevant hand tools and is the crankshaft bolt left or right hand thread ? All help/suggestions appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Well you did your 1.8 incorrectly as a quick search on here will soon tell you! Its simply not possible to time it properly by using tipex. Firstly you need to rotate the exhaust pulley on the cam shaft to tension the belt, so that throws your marks out right away, and secondly the tipex method (even if it worked) relies on the engine being timed correctly in the first place (and if the previous owner used tipex then there is every chance that its not).
I've no experience of the diesel engines but i thought they were more straight forward than the petrols.

·
Registered
387 Posts
from my own experience do not change it without cum locking tools at least,
I have ruined my 1.8 engine after I replaced belt without tools

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks rockhopper
but i have no reason to lie, the tipex method worked perfectly as i did 14000 miles after it was replaced ...not if you dont undo the cam pulley and take the tension up on the tensioner, turn the engine half a dozen times and recheck..everything still in its rightful place ..anyway im asking about the diesel not the 1.8

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can change the belt without any locking tools - did mine a few months ago.

Both the cam and crank sprockets have a mark on them, turn the engine over until the crank marker aligns with the slot. Your new belt will have two white lines, align these with the marks on the pulleys and you are done. The fuel pump is not timed so no need to align this.

You will need some 'Ribe' bits to remove the belt cover and crank pulley. You can just about get away with jamming a Torx bit into the bolt heads but it makes sense to use the correct tools.

The other slightly tricky bit is tensioning the belt. I fitted a 'slave' bolt into one of the belt cover holes and used this as a fulcrum for a large screwdriver. Lever against the tensioner until the pointer lines up with the 'dot' on the tensioner. Once you have done this, turn the engine over 2 revs and recheck/adjust the tension. Keep doing this until the tension does not change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can leave the main centre bolt alone. Just remove the 4off M8? Ribe bolts and the front half of the pulley will come off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All done ..a little tight and fiddly unless you have hands like a girl ...tipex is a marvellous tool 31/2 hours start to finish including coffee...thanks Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts