Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Alfa Approved Used Car Mechanical breakdown warranty and the timing belt is mentioned as one of the parts covered against breakdown. However i'm not clear on whether this only covers it if it snaps or does it cover replacement of it if due to be changed?

Anyone know? :confused:

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
The belt on me dads '02 GTA went on monday. Fortunatley he's only had it since Dec and Mangoletesi are repairing.

I would have thought that if yours went and took a few valves with it whilst under warranty they would repair the car to a proper condition again would they not ? guess it depends on whether Alfa do their usual sheister tricks and try and get out of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tifosi1976 said:
The belt on me dads '02 GTA went on monday. Fortunatley he's only had it since Dec and Mangoletesi are repairing.

I would have thought that if yours went and took a few valves with it whilst under warranty they would repair the car to a proper condition again would they not ? guess it depends on whether Alfa do their usual sheister tricks and try and get out of it. :rolleyes:

You see the warranty wording is that the covered components ie the timing belt are not covered against normal wear and tear. So basically it covers it only if it snaps when not expected to. The problem is with all this nonsense about the recommended interval for changing the belt seemingly now having changed i am totally confused as to when it would be seen as normal wear and tear or not. :confused: :cry:

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
the 'recommended' interval for replacement was a smidgen over estimated. by 18,000 miles. Yep 18 THOUSAND. :rant:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I think if your JTS has its belt replaced every 36K/ 3 years you could have an argument over the belt damage being covered by warranty, as its normally the tensioner that fails or an idler seizes, which jams the belt........

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a result!

I called Alfacare just to ask some questions about the cover on the timing belt and the chap when checking something found out that my Gtv had the timing belt replaced 5000 miles ago as part of a warranty claim through them to replace the variator. So belt, variator and tensioners etc all done already for me.

Very :D but just wish people were better at keeping paperwork so future buyers know these things. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Tifosi1976 said:
the 'recommended' interval for replacement was a smidgen over estimated. by 18,000 miles. Yep 18 THOUSAND. :rant:
If its an 02 GTA though then it is 4-5 years old, so over the 3 yr recommendation. Don't hear of GTA belt failures much though. Mine is in on Mon to get the whole lot done (at the 48k mile service, doing at 42k cos was an Alfa UK car to start with and was low milage so services are a bit out of sync!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts