Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up really, I've just picked my car up from the local Alfa dealer (Benfield, Newcastle).

They have an official notice in the service reception from Alfa recommending a cambelt replacement on all 147,156,159 & GT models at 36,000 miles or 3 years.

Apparently Alfa has had to cough up under warranty or give goodwill on an exceptional number of early cambelt failures.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just notched up 43,000 and I'm pretty sure they didn't change it on the 36,000 even though the service was around £400.

I'm not sure how long changing the cambelt at 36,000 has been policy.

I was quoted £350 for the job, a bit steep I thought.

M

·
0 Posts
It came in late last year, had mine replaced at 23,000 and it would of cost me nearly £400

W

·
0 Posts
There's a recent thread about the official notification but this has been "policy" on here for years now :lol:

£350 is a reasonable price if they're replacing the tensioners as well....DO NOT just change the belts. the tensioners are the main reason for failure imho.

wrinx

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Wrinx, had all the work done re/cambelts tensioners on our 147 last August, with a more than decent payment from Alfa. Would you think it safe to assume the later tensioner/'s were fitted, and what is the major factor that is different?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've just notched up 43,000 and I'm pretty sure they didn't change it on the 36,000 even though the service was around £400.

I'm not sure how long changing the cambelt at 36,000 has been policy.

I was quoted £350 for the job, a bit steep I thought.
Believe me, that's a fraction of what it'll cost if it fails. :(

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I had my 156 serviced just before Christmas and Alfie at Heath Rod Garage told me to wait until next service and he would do them then ~£350 I think, my car will be ~39,000 miles then. I do have a rattle on start up at times but was told not to worry until next service!

W

·
0 Posts
I'd want to know what the rattle is and where it's coming from! Could be the top end draining oil a little or the variator which is ok, but if it's coming from the belt area get it sorted now.

I was lucky with my V6...was driving to the garage to get the belts changed (no noises), got within a couple of miles and an almighty noise started. an idler had given up with no warning at all...just made it!

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Wrinx, had all the work done re/cambelts tensioners on our 147 last August, with a more than decent payment from Alfa. Would you think it safe to assume the later tensioner/'s were fitted, and what is the major factor that is different?
It is likely to be a metal tensioner, if you're getting it replaced within the next 3yrs or 36k I wouldn't worry anyway. Failures within these limits is VERY rare.

wrinx

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Thanks Wrinx,my mind needs to be put at rest somewhat over this issue, otherwise I'll be stuck on Mogadon or something to get some sleep!!! Thanks mate.

·
Registered
507 Posts
has this come into play on the V6 engine as well, or is it just the tspark and the jts engines?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts