Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wow:

On way back from the highlands and the cambelt snapped - I knew immediately it would be that, heard a thud, immediate MCSF warning and the engine died. Took the belt cover off this morning and belt is loose so presume snapped. The belt had only been on for 20k miles and had tensioner and pulleys replaced at the same time.

Question I have is there any way to know if there's valve damage without taking the head off i.e. would there have been a noise of the valves being damaged at the time?

Reason I'm asking is I could put on a new belt kit and give it a go for much less than having someone take the head off. But if I know there's valve damage then there'd be no point? thanks

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
1.6? Valve damage is inevitable. Only the diesels get away with a cambelt failure (rockers break)

No, head has to come off and you should change the big end shells.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gazza, feared that would be the case.....have to consider if it's worth it or if it's time to part with it :cry:

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
How long ago time wise was the belt last done, and who did it? It is possible that the garage did the job wrongly.

L

·
0 Posts
1.6? Valve damage is inevitable. Only the diesels get away with a cambelt failure (rockers break)

No, head has to come off and you should change the big end shells.
I kn ow of only ONE 1.6 that broke a belt & did NOT bent valves. New belt kit & its still driving today :)

How did the belt break? Did the AUX belt break & take out the timing belt?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did the belt break? Did the AUX belt break & take out the timing belt?
Haven't been in to see what's what yet, other than taking a peek through the top cover but the aux belt is intact intact and fine, might get in at the weekend to look at it.

Sounds to me like it wouldn't be worth doing anything with as I can't afford a big repair bill so if anyone's looking for a 147 (2002, 1.6, CF3. AR32104) and can pick up.....

L

·
0 Posts
ok, 20k miles have passed but how many months since it was last changed?

D

·
0 Posts
Haven't been in to see what's what yet, other than taking a peek through the top cover but the aux belt is intact intact and fine, might get in at the weekend to look at it.

Sounds to me like it wouldn't be worth doing anything with as I can't afford a big repair bill so if anyone's looking for a 147 (2002, 1.6, CF3. AR32104) and can pick up.....
I might be interested if you can pm me some details

Dav

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have a feeling it was the water pump - on the same day it never got up to temp and there was an odd shuffle kind of noise...suspect it may have seized or something

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it didn't get up to temp then too cool and water pump likely to have been ok? Would it have been too hot if water pump failed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts