Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would it cost to repair an alfa 159 1.9 jtdm if the cambelt has snapped?
i have been offered on that this has happened to for a really cheap price but i am not sure whether to get into it or not

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
About a grand - you will probably find the the water pump has seized, so you will need water pump, belt kit and a set of rockers/ followers.

The buggeration that comes in here is that if bits of the valve train have got into the oilways......

·
Registered
300 Posts
Its almost impossible to get an accurate cost of this job i would think before the engines apart and you know what damage is done .... you could have caused piston and valve damage (maybe rings) cylinder head damage.. plus the water pump, idlers, tensioners and labour .... Id be looking for a low mileage exchange unit, there about for £1200

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You will not usually have any piston, valve or ring damage on a 4 valve Jtd from a belt issue, the rockers are designed to snap, and usually do.

·
Vendor
45,822 Posts
Any issues with the later (apparently stronger) rockers?
I have heard of one that had 2 bent valves, the bloke rang me up to buy an engine. But I've never actually seen one in a 159 that has bent valves after the waterpump has seized.

We did have a 156 that needed the head to come off once after a waterpump seizure, but its the exception rather than the rule.

·
Vendor
45,822 Posts
110k is fine for those engines provided they have been serviced properly. Do you know how well it run prior to the cambelt snapping?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts