Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,
I have a technical question to ask , I started the car last night , every thing perfect.. went for a drive , 15mins into the drive i heard a rubbing sound comming from the engine bay. Stopped the car and took a look. I could hear and feel the cambelt rubbing on the cambelt cover.. Has this ever happened to any one else and does anyone have a solution , apart from the obvious . :) I am hoping its just and adjustment of the tensioners to pull back in line.. thank you for your help.

Martin:

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
hi buddy!

never EVER ever ever ever ignore timing belts !

If its worn and threads are rubbing, then you are very lucky, you got a warning before snapping ! :wow:
if its rubbing due to some other reason, then again they will wear out and snap eventually.

If it costs 50 Euro to buy new timing belts its much better than spending 500 Euro to fix the engine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I second that!
I replaced my bushes and couldn’t get the arms out without difficulty and jacked up the engine a wee bit, instead of dropping the cross member. Unbeknownst to me I caused the cam cover to be bent and rub on the cam belt.
Soon after whilst on tick over, the belt gave up and engine was dead.
I should have learnt my lesson after I did an engine swap over a weekend.
In my latest car I was waiting for cam pulley bearings to come over from Italy and 4 weeks later cam belt snapped, upon investigation the pulley bearings hadn’t seized but the belt was loose an rubbing on cover.
Have you done any work, have you checked the tension on the belts?
There are cover holes for the tensioner bolts, so you can retention without taking the covers off, make sure you align via the flywheel markings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response, the cambelt was replaced about 2.5 years ago. I have only done about 5,000 KMS between then and now.. I don't understand how the cambelt can move forward and rub on the cover!

K

·
0 Posts
could be that the tensioner has either come loose or the bearing become worn thus twisting it slightly. this will make the belt run off line.
either way as everyone says, get it looked at asap before disaster strikes :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts