Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the story, seeing that Mystic's engine pull day went so schmoovely, I thought I'd try my luck at a Lance's cambelt replacement day.

Here's the criteria.

I need a place to do the cambelt replacement, like a garage or a driveway in JHB where all of you live.

I need someone to volunteer to RUN the project, like be head machie - but must know what he's doing.

I need the correct tools for the job.

I need helping hands from AOSA as a club of guys - as that is my opinion of a club, we must help each other in times of Alfa needs.

I'm willing to pay anyone who comes forward and takes the head machie job - I'm that serious. Anyone else wanting to help can come, as we need to spur on this head machie, I'll obviously help as its my car.

My reason for wanting to do this is simple. I'd much rather LEARN from this how to repalce a cambelt PROPERLY and do it with guys I KNOW AND TRUST, than leave my baby with some machie who'll tell me it can be done in 1 or 2 days, and on day 5 I'll hear a story while sitting without a car...

I'll purchase all the parts and the beers and the meat - I'll even have prizes for the funniest guy on the day...

So,

Needs to be done before Easter, needs to be done in 1 day...in JHB?

Anyone?:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Alfa male has done his before.. bar cam locking tools

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
We need that communal Garage thing sorted out........ Mystic, have you been able to ask around ?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erm leme sweeten the deal....can we rent someones garage or driveway????

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
when you planning this?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seems to me that PO or Alfamale is the okes you should be schmoozing up to cos they got da experience. If someone agrees to do this I will certainly come and help, so I can like learn a ting or 2. I should imagine it is not that difficult just need the correct tools for the job.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll be there bud(you just need to confirm the date)....I've also done this before and I have the necessary guide as to how one does a major service on a twinspark...

I would highly recommend that whoever has a twinnie should pull through and come help or even just observe.

get the parts from AK Components, kevin emailed me a quote(I asked for a few other goodies) and for a major service kit(cambelt belt, cambelt adjuster and idler, balance belt and balance belt tensioner and the variator) it works out just under 4k.

we'd just need to sort out the cam locks, you can purchase them as well from ak components for R580 or maybe someone on the forum can loan us a set for the weekend????

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll offer my garage for the workshop on this one. :cool:

We all know where it is. Well most of us do. We'll just need to be careful not to mix parts up. :lol:

Eric, I must chase that up. :thumbs: I've got to go through my father-in-law cause it's his friend / contact that owns the place.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd be willing to help!! depending on date..
I'd say im kinda handy with a 13 spanner... I have a decent toolbox that I can bring!!
we need tressils (spelling :( ) I have if the garage doesn't have any....

Dont have much newer engine knowledge, But Ones gotta learn somewhere and what better place than with other Alfa owner AND on someone else's car!! :)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aaaah...thanks guys God truly bless yal for helping a fellow out...damn PO if its 4k Ill buy it end of month and we can settle on a date...i think i first need to get the parts then we can settle on a date that will suit ALL.

Ok as things stand Ill call AK and order parts by the 23 of Feb, then we can agree on a weekend, Saturday that suits us all...Trackman thanks for the tools mate, Mystic thank you so much for the garage Ill reward you dude, PO fank u for your knowledge...now all we need is a camlock tool,shouldnt we buy one as a group so that EVERYONE can use it?

thanks again guys Ill call AK now to hear the prices...so it all goes down in a months time so there is still plenty of time to change your minds and to do proper planning...thank u all once again

NOW THATS WHAT A CLUB SHOULD BE LIKE!!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,everything excl cam variator from AK is R2500 but Ive been calling around and cant seem to get cam variator...closest I got was from Arnold Chatz at R1700 that to me seems too much or am I wrong?Anyone know where I can get cam varaitor from?

cheers

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah Alfi u guys already being cool,Ill organise the beers boss dnt worry,just bring your camera pls...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'd be willing to help!! depending on date..
I'd say im kinda handy with a 13 spanner... I have a decent toolbox that I can bring!!
we need tressils (spelling :( ) I have if the garage doesn't have any....

Dont have much newer engine knowledge, But Ones gotta learn somewhere and what better place than with other Alfa owner AND on someone else's car!! :)
Great dude. It'll be nice to have you here. If by tressils you mean what the poms call "jack stands", then I have. However, my 147 is on them at the moment. :confused:
We could always put the wheels back and jack it down till the engine is ready.

Mystic thank you so much for the garage
It's a pleasure. :thumbs:

now all we need is a camlock tool,shouldnt we buy one as a group so that EVERYONE can use it?
I was thinking much the same sort of thoughts. I'm going to need in a bit as well.

And I'll bring beer and take pics? ;)
Rubish, this time you can get your hands dirty too. :cheese:

I'm sort of looking forward to this then. :D

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. Me too, I think Cerone must mail us all, whose interested, the complete doccie so that we can familiarise ourselves with what needs to be done STEP BY STEP...so that when the time comes in a month or so...we'll be well prepared.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Depending on the date , I would like to come "gooi an eye" as well. I may be getting another twinnie engined car soon ;)

I have Jack stands.......

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Depending on the date , I would like to come "gooi an eye" as well. I may be getting another twinnie engined car soon ;)

I have Jack stands.......
Cool :thumbs:

Then maybe mine can just stay where it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would you guys mind if I pop by too? (date & place depending)

I can offer absolutely nothing to assist with this endeavour though - but I'm keen to learn a bit more about what's under my baby's bonnet - so only say yes if you're willing to answer questions ;p

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
there has never been an event where no one is welcome.. so in the words of super man.. no wait.. in the words of charl poe... no wait.. like barry hilton says.. PULL IN COUSIN

·
Registered
665 Posts
One night without connectivity and its like I been away for a week. I'll definately be there. Cos I've been there done that..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts