Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Cambelt razzle V6

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  deepshark 
#1 ·
Hello! 156 V6 2002
I have a "clicking" or rattling noice from the cambelt tensioner.
The tensioner pulley seems to be "steady" but there is a spring within it, and that spring is connected to some metal part that i guess puts the tension to the pulley..
This metalpart inside the pulley is rattling and making noice when engine is cold. Apart from that, the belt seems to be in really good condition but the car is due for a belt change. 60000km and three years since last time. At that time they replaced the waterpump as well. What do you think, should i replace the waterpump again now after only three years, or can this be done the following time?
I dont know, but i presume the impeller is made of metal since it was fitted in 2006...
And regarding this rattle, i tried to WD40 it, but no success...
I guess i have to keep the righthand side foot calm until belt is changed...
Thanks for a great forum!!!

#6 ·
:wow: Unfortunately, you may have caused more damage than good. Never spray WD40 or similar into a bearing as the solvent will wash out the lubricating grease leading to early failure.

If the bearing ticks, it's may contain particulate contamination that can lead to accelerated wear, vibration and then failure.

I suggest you have it replaced as a matter of urgency.

#8 ·
Hello!
Yes, the waterpump is powered by the aux belt, and I am now sure the noise is from a loose belt (too little tension/tensioner problem).
BUTBUTBUT, I have to drive it for three hours to a good workshop, but I think it will survive if i keep the right foot calm...
Cheers,

#10 ·
Now I just got the car back from the cambelt change...
They also replaced the tensioner and one pulley for the aux belt...
Now the noise is ALMOST gone...i think the liiittle remaining noise is from a too thin oil at coldstart...Mobil 5W-40.
But now the noise is almost unhearable.
Cheers,
/Hjalle

#12 ·
I think it might be the tension of your aux belt, and when there is load on the compressor it sorts itself out, try to check your tensioner that it is not stuck like mine was...
My noise disappeared when i replaced cambelt and tensioner and one pulley for the aux belt.At first, i thought the noise was a tappet, but luckily it was only belt related....
Good luck!

#14 ·
ummm...I solved all these issues on my 164 by altering the angle on tensioner's pulley - it is possible to do, and the results are painless...on the 164's 24V V6, a 7PK1980 is the best I can get hold of in this country, and so I had to adjust my tensioner pulley angle, while detensioning the tensioner :eek:...end result though was a well tensioned belt that could not easily be twisted beyond the recommended 70 degrees for the Aux belt. I will not touch the cambelt under pain of death - though I have very carefully tested to see whether it is in fact aligned with the shared TDC of the Crank and each bank - it is, to a tolerance of 0.0001 according to the micrometers I used, averaged over measurements for 20 revolutions (much heaving by turning the driver's side wheel in 5th gear, and the car on trestles)
A vital tool to have is a long lever + large size allen-key heads compatible with a 1/4" socket, these help SOOO much ! wouldn't do it without them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.