Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 2.0 TS GTV about 6 months back. Costed me only a little over 3,000 Euros with only 74,000km on it. Had a mechanic look at it beforehand and said everything was great. No rust, clutch good, etc. Only problem is there is no history. The guy i bought it from only had it a few months so doesnt know either if the belt was replaced at 60k km(36k miles). The belt itself looks in very good shape. Teeth look good, dont see any tears or rips, and the white writing is still on it. Does that mean its new? Advice please. The car still only has 78k on it and i could use advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Not worth gambling on. Get belts, tensioners and water pump changed. Possibly the variator

too while you're at it.

Note there are two belts; one is the cam belt and the other is the balance belt. Both need doing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Its not just mileage, the belt should be changed every 3 years or 36K mls.
Given what you spent on the car unless you are sure the belt, tensioners and at 16 years old the waterpump are ok I'd change now.
Cheaper than a new engine after all.

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
Always best get the belts changed. It really is not worth the gamble.
The bottom line is, if one or either of the two belts snap (and they do) it is end if story for the engine and possibly the car.
Just dig deep in your pockets.
Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
My view is have a look at the tensioner if it is metal and there are no funny noises I would just change the belts, if it was me that's what I would do. You can check the idler bearing once the belt is off, any nois or friction swap it. I did all mine as my tensioner was one of the early white plastic ones, the aux belt was all cracked. Variator only needs doing if it makes a lot of noise at startup, not just because, they aren't cheap and why replace a part that is fine. Aux belt shouldn't need replacing unless you is visually defective like my one was. Balance belt might as well replace but I don't think they are high tension belts so far less likely to fail than the cambelt. . View maybe be bias as I did all the stuff myself rather than paying for someone else to do it.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Balance belts do fail. I saw one recently that fortunately did not jam the cam belt. I have done a few belts and tensioners on my GTV, my daughter's 147 and some others. To change the tensioners really is not much more effort or cost and if the variator starts to fail in the near future you will wonder why you did not change it when you had the opportunity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts