Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just received all the parts in the post (EB Spares - excellent service, all geniune parts) and i am getting ready to do the cambelt change this weekend. Read through Jaaps pages a couple of times now, and it all makes sense. The only two items outstanding is the pulley tool needed to holded the exhaust camshaft pulley in place, to remove the pulley to install the new oil seal. Is this necessary or can I use a bar, to hold the pulley?? Advice please.
The other item is a TDC feeler gauge to check cylinder no.1. Is this necessary also, or could I assume once the timing marks are all lined up that the piston is at TDC.
I am also changing the waterpump. The last time I changed the thermostat, I used ordinary Antifrezze(blue) on a 50/50 mix with De-ionized water. After a recent trip to HAlfords, I am wondering if a can use one of the new pre mixed coolants (orange) instead, and if there is any advantage??
2001 2.0ts CF3 engine
Cheers
Dermot

W

·
0 Posts
Feeler guage :confused:

The TDC tool should have a dial guage and a long plunger, this will let you know when no1 is at TDC.

What did you pay for the TDC if you don't mind me asking....I just bought one on eBay :D

wrinx

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't buy either the TDC tool or the pulley tool yet. The only place i have seen the TDC tool is on ebay as well but I was hoping to get one locally, bit of a hen's teeth item though. Wrinx the last time you done the cambelt, how did you hold the the exhaust pulley when you were undoing the central nut?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For tdc, I just put a long screwdriver into the spark plug hole and watched it rise and fall.

For locking the pulleys, feel if there is anything behind the pulley you can use to jam them. On my v6, for the pulleys on the front head, I could stick a small extension in the holes in certain positions to jam them in place.

I would if I were to get specific tools, the camlocks would probably be the most helpful.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Don't know anything abuot that specific antifreeze.

My favourite a couple of years back - I think it was called four seasons or something, came in big blue bottles, and contained some kind of indicator, changed colour according to %age mix with water, but can't get that anymore or mix it with anything else. I just buy any old stuff that looks reasonable, but try not to mix different types though.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
My preferance for antifreezes is to use one that doesn't need to be mixed.
My fav at the moment is 4Life engine coolant (red in colour, but turns yellow in the event of head gasket failure).

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Online: Demon Tweeks do it, also the MGOC.
The MGOC worked out as the best price when I got it.

A Google for 4Life Engine Coolant should find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts