Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine light appeared on the dash, so i switched it off and waited for the RAC they tried to find the problem and there was a clanking noise every 10 secs or so, he said the cambelt jumped and there was a few teeth missing, do you think it is just a simple new cambelt kit or is the noise something to worry about

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would be worried if the RAC man is right! THAT can work out very pricey.

If the top end has been destroyed remember to put new big end shells in (See other threads on this subject).

·
Registered
38,913 Posts
I am afraid you will need a cylinder head re-build as the noise will be because you have bent valves due to the pistons hitting them.

You will also need the big end shells to be replaced, because the shells becme flat spotted due to the impact.

Autolusso near Bedford will rebuild the head, fit new belts and change the big end shells for £850

When was the cambelt last changed?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If the belt has slipped then it has probably done some damage - do not try to turn it over or you will only make it worst get it to your nearest indy and hope

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure when it was last changed, its getting changed at the moment, bedford is a bit far, will i be able to drive it to a garage or is it better to get it towed ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
NO NO NO!

Dont even try to start it!

Get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it!

D

·
0 Posts
im not sure when it was last changed, its getting changed at the moment, bedford is a bit far, will i be able to drive it to a garage or is it better to get it towed ?
Don't let your key near the ignition. :wow:tut:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
It will need towing for sure. Where in kent are you? There is a good indie at Brands hatch and a good one in canterbury.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
im not sure when it was last changed, its getting changed at the moment
It's being changed before it's been checked for damage? :eek:
Just changing the belt won't cure the problem, and starting it will worsen the issue.
will i be able to drive it to a garage or is it better to get it towed ?
Absolutely not. Get it towed, and again, don't start it until it has been stripped and the damage (valves, shells etc) has been repaired.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I know you will get away with it on Ford Cortina Mk3s but on an ALFA!!!???:eek:

I've NEVER heard of it happening

1 - 16 of 16 Posts