Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are all replacement cambelt idler pulleys made from plastic?
the one currently on my car is metal.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Kit of parts I've just bought from Mangoletsi, all belts, idlers, tensioners and cambox cover gasket, £160, includes metal tensioner for cam belt but others are plastic.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i did buy mine from ebspares and got what's in the picture apart from the metal plate which the cam tensioner and idle pulley bolt too.

it's still strange that Mangoletsi supplied a metal cam tensioner instead of a plastic one.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
earthman said:
it's still strange that Mangoletsi supplied a metal metal cam tensioner instead of a plastic one.
Because the latest spec of that part has a metal tensioner, any plastic ones will be old stock.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems to me that it's all by chance, do alfa really know what part is at fault or is it just trial and error?
my first thought about the tensioner being metal is that each tooth could cut into/wear the rubber belt out quickly but then again both camshaft pulley's are metal so maybe not.

i think the next car i buy will have a cam chain.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
159 has a chain drive, doesn't it?

Mind you.. the words "cam" and "chain" reminds me of a joke that Honda motorbike owners might remember:

"Knock, Knock.."

"Who's there...? "

"Camchain tensioner.." :cheese: :cheese:

When the tensioner failed (yes, even a Honda one) the chain started flopping about and eventually left the sprocket.. you can imagine the carnage.

Gear driven cams is how Honda sorted it.. or we can go back to pushrods.. never had any trouble with those! :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think that camchains and tensioners have come on a long way since then, my mate who is in the trade tells me that most new honda cars, along with other manufacturers are now fitting camchains to their engines.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I hope so.. the chains will eventually stretch with mileage but shouldn't need changing due to age alone.

But if the tensioner gums up and stops keeping the chain taut, it will lift off the sprockets and either come off the sprocket altogether (new engine time) or lift unp enough not to come off, but still enough to wear away the cam-chain cover.

Is the cam chain assembly under a sealed metal cover, so that it keeps dust and grit out of the chain rollers and tensioner mechanism?

How is it serviced?

I think a chain is better than a belt (just seems more "right" somehow) but a bad one (or rather a chain with a bad tensioner) can potentially do more damage than a belt when it all goes horribly wrong.

Ralf S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts