Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, it's been along time since I was last on here for various reasons, work and home commitments, PC failures etc, and haven't had as much time to devote to the Alfa.

I hope you have all been keeping well and enjoying your 155's/other Alfa's!

Anyway, as the title of this post suggests pretty much the worst fate has befallen my 1997 2.0 16v super and I need some friendly advice :( . Car has done 105,000 now as a change of house some while back meant I was clocking up 120 miles per day. Belt/tensioners etc were on 50k, most steady crusing miles, and I was planning a change in 2 months time when I had saved up the cash, but yesterday evening sod's law intervened!

Picked up my partner from work, tried to start the car again and it just gave up. Recovery guy was fairly convinced it's the belt. The cams are not turning at all.

So, question 1. Bearing in mind the cams are not moving when the engine turns over, is there anything else less terminal that might explain this behaviour, like a sensor, which I can get checked or am I pretty much screwed? (yep, just clutching at straws here)

Question 2. Help!!! What should I do??? Situation is I can't really afford to get it fixed, only just got back from holiday and also just spend a few hundred on our old 33 so completely skinted out. I really would like to keep the car; is it cheaper to get it fixed or just find another engine to put in? I'm assuming I'll be looking at around £1500 for the fix option. Problem is the car is probably only worth £1000-1250 or so, as it also needs brakes and wishbones replacing, and some work on the exhaust which has started to blow a little because of the mileage it's been doing, just wear and tear stuff, but drags the value down.

I don't know whether to buy something else that's cheaper to run and use the savings from that to save up to fix the 155. Or just buy something else and get rid of the 155 (easier said than done when it's a non-runner, of course). I see there are a couple of 155's on the classifieds for sale at less than the cost of a fix for my car, but you all know we buy Alfas with the heart, not the head, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it. It's still a nice car to look at, but my head is telling me it's not worth fixing - especially as I can't do it myself because I don't have the skills.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts