Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 01 Spider TS in Alfa Red/Pink. 66k engine is very smooth no smoke, noise or rattles, FSH but no indication whether cam belt was changed at 36K. How worried should I be? What % of cambelts fail before 72k ? Are we talking 2-3% or 20-30% ?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Best done at 36,000 so they all say now, although I did read that the belt gears of plastic were the main culprits for belt failure, and replacements should be metal versions. Anyone else read that in that magazine?:):

G

·
I would be getting it changed pretty sharpish if I were you, I wouldnt say its 100% failure rate but it would be well above 50%.

At least if you get it changed you know it has definately been done. My 147 2.0 has 64k FSH, and I know the belts were done at 36K and the balance belt snapped on it a few weeks ago (thankfully it wasnt the timing belt!)

No harm in inspecting the belts anyway and seeing what condition they are in.

·
Registered
40,047 Posts
I am going to echo the others and say get it changed now, along with the variator.

Getting it changed, is a lot cheaper than getting it fixed if the belt snaps, which could be up to £1500 if it needs a new engine.

There is not a lot of point checking the belt as it is usually the tensioners that give up and snap the belt in the process.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I've booked the car in tomorrow for an early 72k service.
That's good. Don't forget the original recommendation was 72K miles or 5 years. It's now 36K miles or 3 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts