Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
147 GTA 58K, 5 1/2 years.
After reading the forum thought it was pushing our luck to wait for 72K.

Old belt had a couple of nicks out the side of it - don't really know how much longer it would have lasted ?
I guess it's reinforced across the width so would have probably been ok ?

Anyway all done so no worries for another 3 years.

It's been an expensive 3 months -
60K service
Rear brake pads
Radiator & bottom rad pipe
Cambelt swap (+ GTV water pump, idlers etc)
Exhaust (tail pipe)
2 front tyres

Roll on no maintenance for a year ?????????????????

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wise man

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Don't forget to keep on top of your oil and coolant levels, don't rag it til its warm and you should be right for another year, touch wood :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's not normally the belt that goes first anyway, I would suspect the idlers/tensioner were in a worse state, when they let go then the belt goes. When Ned changed mine after 33k/6 years he said the belt looked ok.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
When I bought my car it had a rather worrying ticking noise from the cambelt area on startup which cleared up once warm. I thought it might be a sticking lifter but suspected the belt/idler/tensioner.. It was on about 70k and had never had a belt done. Got it down to Jamie Porters and got it done the full works and that ticking noise went. It was a slightly nervous few weeks waiting to get the car done driving fairly carefully so as not to overload anything. My belt looked ok when off but one of the idlers had definately seen better days, can't remember what the tensioner was like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts