Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum ... I have a sneaky feeling I may soon own my first Alfa! However, before I go see my dealer who has made me an offer, please may I ask the following.
The model in question is a 2012 Giuletta 2.0jtdm Veloce 170 bhp. The thing is, it's only done 7,400 miles, but of course is 4 years old. Should I consider having the cambelt changed in view of it's age? I have no details at present as to how the car has been cared for/location/garaged. Very much appreciate anyone's opinion. I have a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0 auto at the moment. Bit dull.

Kind Regards

Doug G

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
I'd expect it to be done as part of the deal. Those miles could be low but high stress or start/stop but judging from the letter I received at 4 years it's a given. Is it an Alfa dealer?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum ... I have a sneaky feeling I may soon own my first Alfa! However, before I go see my dealer who has made me an offer, please may I ask the following.
The model in question is a 2012 Giuletta 2.0jtdm Veloce 170 bhp. The thing is, it's only done 7,400 miles, but of course is 4 years old. Should I consider having the cambelt changed in view of it's age? I have no details at present as to how the car has been cared for/location/garaged. Very much appreciate anyone's opinion. I have a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0 auto at the moment. Bit dull.

Kind Regards

Doug G
I would say no...certainly give it another year. Get a mechanic to inspect the cambelt by removing the top cover. I am undecided re my own G, it's 4 years old but only covered 17,800 miles, mostly long runs, due for a service in 3 weeks...over to the experts :teacher:

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
If it was mine I would be tempted to get the belt done but leave the tensioners. The belt will age due to time but the tensioners only wear out through being used...

But the safest option is to get it all done.

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
The only extra cost is from having it done more frequently rather than spending it outright. A year early is 20% or so extra I suppose?
Not bad insurance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would definitely get it done as part of the deal, if you don't ask.....
If its done and dusted you won't need to worry. Ask for waterpump too, good luck :)

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I would get the belt and water pump done for piece of mind.
I agree. But I would also be wanting to know why a diesel has only done such a small mileage in four years. What other potential problems may be stored up if it has been used for only short journeys. If on the other hand the owner had been unable to use the car and it has been stood virtually idle for the last two or three years then this might lead to a different set of problems. All in all you need to know the history before making a decision.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Just had her jalopy non.AR, sorted with a new cambelt, water pump, idlers and tensioners, four years on from the last change?

I was shown the old cambelt which looked in reasonable condition with no real signs of cracking or wear, but....the serpentine auxiliary belt was a different matter, as this had cracks a plenty? :!:!

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I would be inclined to get it done in with the purchase price. I was reading about the difference between the Busso & TS belts, which isn't quite the same I know, but because the TS belt is very narrow and is very convoluted in its path it deteriorates very quickly and wears out. The V6 on the other hand is under far less stress and is much wider, goes through fewer tight curves and wears much more slowly - and the reason for changing is the aging of the belt, not because it is worn out. But then again, I'm no expert

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again,

Thank you very much to all of you who kindly posted a reply. I took all of your opinions on board and have since taken the car for test drive. I felt from your replies that it would be wise to have the cambelt replaced. The dealership have partly agreed to look into this, but the car is actually only 3years 8 months old, so they will inspect the belt when they do a pre-delivery service/MOT, but may not replace it if it looks ok. Bit of a compromise. If I decide to buy the car, then I will replace it anyway at the due time. As far as the history of the car, I was just told it had previously been owned by an elderly gentleman who only really used it once a week, but that's not verifiable really.. So, once again, thank you all, and I am pondering today whether to buy the car as the stupidly low trade in offer on my existing car has thrown the figures a bit.

Kind Regards
Doug G

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Hello again,

Thank you very much to all of you who kindly posted a reply. I took all of your opinions on board and have since taken the car for test drive. I felt from your replies that it would be wise to have the cambelt replaced. The dealership have partly agreed to look into this, but the car is actually only 3years 8 months old, so they will inspect the belt when they do a pre-delivery service/MOT, but may not replace it if it looks ok. Bit of a compromise. If I decide to buy the car, then I will replace it anyway at the due time. As far as the history of the car, I was just told it had previously been owned by an elderly gentleman who only really used it once a week, but that's not verifiable really.. So, once again, thank you all, and I am pondering today whether to buy the car as the stupidly low trade in offer on my existing car has thrown the figures a bit.

Kind Regards
Doug G
If they don't want to change the cambelt and associated parts then ask them how long they will warranty it all for against failure or wear & tear related failure, and get it changed yourself after that period of time. The service book isn't clear when a cambelt should be changed, it could be in as little as 4 months time.

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
My grandad bought a new car in 2005, when he died in 2012 it had done 8000 miles.

If that car is anything to go by I would avoid super low mileage cars. It drove like it had done 10 times the mileage. The brakes were rusty, the tyres cracked. The engine didn't want to rev and the clutch felt well worn.

Personally I would rather pay a bit less and get a car which has been driven on a regular basis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts