Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have been informed by NJS, that my Cambelt is Due for a change, as my Car is almost 5 years old (Manufactured Sep'07) and I've clocked 49K Miles.

Quickly wanted to know some thoughts around whether I can wait for a couple of months, before getting this done, as I've been quoted around £450 + VAT :(, for CAmbelt Change including the Water Pump change.

Also, are there any other considerations that need to be taken?

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Make sure the idle bearing is changed along with the cambelt and pump. Also when changing the pump you may as well replace all the coolant with 50/50 mix of the red stuff.

£450 + VAT just for the cambelt and waterpump sounds expensive to me. I'd shop around and be prepared to travel. Several members use a very good indy near Bristol, do a search and you should find the details. In a recent thread another member was also being quoted top whack from NJS, only to get a much cheaper quote elsewhere.

Naughty NJS:tut:

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
AutoLusso are great, but a bit far perhaps for the OP. Can someone recommend the indy near Bristol, can't quite remember the name, which is really annoying:lol:

·
Registered
327 Posts
All,

I have been informed by NJS, that my Cambelt is Due for a change, as my Car is almost 5 years old (Manufactured Sep'07) and I've clocked 49K Miles.

Quickly wanted to know some thoughts around whether I can wait for a couple of months, before getting this done, as I've been quoted around £450 + VAT :(, for CAmbelt Change including the Water Pump change.

Also, are there any other considerations that need to be taken?
It's not the cambelt you should worry about, that'll probably be ok up to 72k. It's the water pump bearings that seize and flip off the cambelt, and there's no point in replacing the water pump without doing the belt. Use NJS, not cheap but expert.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
£450 isnt 'top whack'

Dealer price is over £750.00 and its much the same price that most independents take, Alfa Workshop and Autolusso included.

I believe that cost is including VAT, rather than plus, as a mate had one done there recently and that was around the inclusive price for that element of the work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We do belt, tensioner, idler and water pump for £400 inc VAT, it should not cost any more than that

Ned
As i posted above, had mine done by these guys recently and couldn't be happier!

Dropped her off at 4.30pm on a Friday and got a call at 10am on Saturday saying she was ready

Top service, car feels tighter and smoother

·
Registered
158 Posts
So what's the definitive guide as to when the change should be done? Mines an October 07 car with 41k - should I be budgeting for a change soon?

·
Banned
239 Posts
Hi guys just for the record we at Njs always quote for all the parts required to change the timing belts properly and in this case for a 2.4 jtdm we fit a timing belt tensioner idler waterpump and fresh antifreeze all fitted for £430+ vat not the 450+ vat suggested above hope this clears up any confusion. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts