Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, subject says it all really. I have the 2.0 16v engine with the cam variator. If Honda's VTEC/VTI can make such massive performance out of a tiny engine, is there any way to make Alfa's version do the same, i.e. get impressive performance? Are there any 3rd party "performance" variators out there that could be swapped in?

I'm new to the Twinspark engine (used to flat four 33 engines) so I've got no idea what's possible and what's not, yet.

Thanks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mixsynth said:
Hi, subject says it all really. I have the 2.0 16v engine with the cam variator. If Honda's VTEC/VTI can make such massive performance out of a tiny engine, is there any way to make Alfa's version do the same, i.e. get impressive performance? Are there any 3rd party "performance" variators out there that could be swapped in?

I'm new to the Twinspark engine (used to flat four 33 engines) so I've got no idea what's possible and what's not, yet.

Thanks...
my understanding is that the variator only alters the cam timing to allow the use of a lumpy cam and still give a good bottom end. It effectively creates the wrong cam timing at low revs and corrects it further up. So this means that the top end power is limited by the grind of camshaft rather than the variator, giving the situation that at high RPM, the cam timing is the same as it should be if there was no variator.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There is a large difference in the Alfa variator method, which changes the postion of the cam relative to the vernier, to Honda's VTEC which moves the cam accross to a different set of profiles.

If you can make gains on your Alfa they won't be Honda like and could be very expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nigel S said:
There is a large difference in the Alfa variator method, which changes the postion of the cam relative to the vernier, to Honda's VTEC which moves the cam accross to a different set of profiles.
Ah, I see. I didn't know how VTEC worked. I've now read up on it, courtesy of Google.

OK, so then the route to go down is to upgrade the cam, n'est pas? Are there any fast road cams available for the 2.0 16v? I'm presuming the cam variator would still be useful on it, to still allow a bit of torque at low revs...

M

·
0 Posts
Mixsynth said:
Are there any fast road cams available for the 2.0 16v? I'm presuming the cam variator would still be useful on it, to still allow a bit of torque at low revs...
The cams will be designed to take full advantage of the variator, which advances the inlet cam by 25 degrees. You can get cams but you will need your chip reprogrammed too to take full advantage of them.

I looked into this a couple of months back but decided against it as my engine is running sweetly and i don't want to risk upsetting it. But when i do bite the bullet and get them done i will prolly give it to Jamie Porter who will fit cams and a chip, he says it gives more torque across the whole rev range and increases max bhp to about 175bhp. Was about £775+vat including fitting.
Alternatives, Autodelta do a cam kit for £1k. EBspares do cams for about £450, they do two sets, one for low down power and one for high-end power, only the high-end ones need a chip. I was put off these as i spoke to someone who has fitted some and says there's very little performance increase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RicksAlfas said:
You could put a VTEC engine in your Alfa!!
:p :D
If I wanted a Jap engine I'd buy a Jap car! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
MT said:
The cams will be designed to take full advantage of the variator, which advances the inlet cam by 25 degrees. You can get cams but you will need your chip reprogrammed too to take full advantage of them.

I looked into this a couple of months back but decided against it as my engine is running sweetly and i don't want to risk upsetting it. But when i do bite the bullet and get them done i will prolly give it to Jamie Porter who will fit cams and a chip, he says it gives more torque across the whole rev range and increases max bhp to about 175bhp. Was about £775+vat including fitting.
Alternatives, Autodelta do a cam kit for £1k. EBspares do cams for about £450, they do two sets, one for low down power and one for high-end power, only the high-end ones need a chip. I was put off these as i spoke to someone who has fitted some and says there's very little performance increase.
So MT have you any specific cam you giong to use as I was going to use the Autodelta option as I already have a chip from them, but I need to find out if they use a different chip with the cams ;) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts