Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I know, really I do know, that I should use 3.2 cam locks, but the ones I thought I had sourced are for 2.5/3.0, so, do the camshafts on the 3.2 busso engines have OEM cam timing marks? Pictures would be a great help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found some pictures, and some very helpfull stuff from Chris155 (no surprise there). I just need to know whether to rest a straight edge on the block metal closest to the mark and line it up with the marks.

·
Vendor
45,787 Posts
What John said. Don't try and use 2.5/3.0 tools. You won't get it right, at best you will get it close enough to run ok but not optimum.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Not sure if they are any good but you can get 3.2 tools from totally alfa for just under £60. I've got my JTD and TS tools from them and they are right so I'd assume the 3.2 are right too.

totally alfa

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are clear timing marks on cams in 3.0 and 2.5 litre bussos engines. That seems certain. There are photos to prove it. I just want to know whether the same marks are made on the 3.2 litre engine cams.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
There are clear timing marks on cams in 3.0 and 2.5 litre bussos engines. That seems certain. There are photos to prove it. I just want to know whether the same marks are made on the 3.2 litre engine cams.
Where exactly should the marks be located and where should they be pointing at? I have 2 sets of GTA cams in the garage and I can´t identify any marks on them. I can post a picture from any angle or part of the camshaft you want, just point me where to look at and what to look for.

Only useful timing help I found out is a notch on the aux belt pulley that lines up with the edge of front crankcase cover in TDC position. But I am not sure if its done OEM or done by some previous owner...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the marks on a 166 or a 164, not sure which. In these pictures they are lined up with the part of the block closest to the cam.

Attachments

·
3,202 Posts
These are the marks on a 166 or a 164, not sure which. In these pictures they are lined up with the part of the block closest to the cam.
Ah, ok, so its not the pulley side of the shaft but the other end. I will have a look in the evening when I get home and let you know.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Interesting. How come know one has mentioned these before

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. How come know one has mentioned these before
I'd say it's because there is a natural tendency for caution in matters relating to cam timing, so there tends to be a bias towards doing it "properly". No harm I suppose, but sometimes it's good to look at options.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'd say it's because there is a natural tendency for caution in matters relating to cam timing, so there tends to be a bias towards doing it "properly". No harm I suppose, but sometimes it's good to look at options.
I wouldn't say using the marks is not properly mate. Just not the accepted way. Alfa put those marks on there so you could obviously do it this way and it gets round the problem of the unmarked pulleys at the end. Dinlow marks are there for a reason :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isn't it safer/easier to hold the cams in place relative to each other than try and make sure all the marks are lined up?
Easier, perhaps yes, but safer, not necessarily if enough care is taken. I'll do one at a time and just put a lot of care into it.

·
3,202 Posts
So I checked, marks are there, on all cams. Just for info, pictured cams are from GT 3,2V6 engine, but that's the same as GTA...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/Various cars/Camshaftmarks.jpg

And here is the notch on the aux pulley and its alignment so that the 1st piston is in TDC position:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/Various cars/Auxpulleymark.jpg

I think cam locks are better way to do the job for a mechanic that gets paid by the hour but if you are careful and take your time it should be doable at home without any special tools.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts