Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine rebuilt and first trip back home all seemed well.

When I stopped there was oil everywhere inside the engine bay around the left hand cam pulley and dripping.
Obviously the new cam shaft seal failed!!!

Now I have replaced many but is it possible to change it while the cam is still inside the cam box?

I mean remove the pulley - then somehow (not sure how) take out the old seal and then slide on a new one??

Otherwise I'll have to take the whole head off again involving a lot of work etc.

Cheers

:cry:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Engine rebuilt and first trip back home all seemed well.

When I stopped there was oil everywhere inside the engine bay around the left hand cam pulley and dripping.
Obviously the new cam shaft seal failed!!!

Now I have replaced many but is it possible to change it while the cam is still inside the cam box?

I mean remove the pulley - then somehow (not sure how) take out the old seal and then slide on a new one??

Otherwise I'll have to take the whole head off again involving a lot of work etc.

Cheers

:cry:
I managed it with my Minari RS but I took my bonnet off and had very good access this way, I think it would be awkward but not impossible inside of the 33. See the photo below for the access when the Minari bonnet is removed.

I hope it all works out for you.

Good Luck

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul.

You have easy access there. On my 33 it's much more difficult.

I've heard of people drilling and putting self tapping screws in to pull it out.
No idea how they got a drill in between the frame and seal!

Just spent 2 hard months of rebuilding it and could do with a break. LOL

I might take it in to my local workshop tomorrow to see if they have some kind of tool to pull it off.

Any other ideas guys?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use a small screwdriver to lever it out,
even with the cam in place? high risk of scratching it no?

Mind you as you said it may have worked loose considering the amount of oil that was pouring out!!

If it's half out then should be a very easy job.
At least I have a few spare.

Still may take it to the workshop as I've neglected my wife and kid for the last 2 months or so.:rolleyes:

(would prefer to do it myself as always but kid starts school this week and stuff..)

:rant:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if I attempt it;

1) set to TDC
2) loosen a little pulley nut
3) remove belt
4) remove pulley and back plate

seal access revealed.
rad pipe and fans may get in the way though.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from the garage. Took me just under 2 hours in dim light.

Once I got the pulley off and loosened the back plate something just dropped on the floor!!! Guess what that was?

You were right. It was just hanging off.
Hope the new one stays on! Was a bugger trying to get it in from that angle hunched over the car.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers mate.

I think the solenoid was shot. Starts up great now.

Take the car for a spin tomorrow.
The 2 fans work a treat. Switch on and off in about 10 secs and today it was about 32 degrees.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thks alfasixnut.

Was thinking about some kind of thin shim in between the back plate and seal to press and hold it in place to ensure it doesn't pop out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
just got back from the garage. Took me just under 2 hours in dim light.

Once I got the pulley off and loosened the back plate something just dropped on the floor!!! Guess what that was?

You were right. It was just hanging off.
Hope the new one stays on! Was a bugger trying to get it in from that angle hunched over the car.
I used the large socket, (36 mm?), for the front hub nuts to put my new seal in place. I found it was just the right size to place on the seal and then tap the other end with a hammer, it worked a treat and went on nice and squarely. :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the large socket, (36 mm?), for the front hub nuts to put my new seal in place. I found it was just the right size to place on the seal and then tap the other end with a hammer, it worked a treat and went on nice and squarely.
that's with the camshaft out though no? :rolleyes:
But good trick.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well I loosened the back plate just a little and slid 2 lengths of metal between it and the cam box so they just press on the outer rim of the seal when you tighten the 2 x 10mm bolts up.

This will hopefully prevent it from popping out for now. Just a temporary solution cuz I have to take my son to the hospital tonight and don't want the same to happen.

2nd degree burn on his hand from boiling water!

And just 5 mins ago I burnt myself on the same finger touching the exhaust manifold trying to clean some of the oil off the front cross member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHM seal retaining plates:
Oil seal retaining plates
Stops the seals popping out when heads fill with oil on cornering. Much neater then 2 big washers
80 quid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wow: :wow: :wow:

·
Registered
163 Posts
that's with the camshaft out though no? :rolleyes:
But good trick.
No I had the camshaft still in place. As I said I took the bonnet off the Minari, then I drained the water, removed the radiator, and removed the camshaft belt covers, next the cam belts, then the camshaft pulley, and finally the back plate on the side I was working.

I then had a camshaft “end” exposed and was I able to see the old leaking seal, as Woody said I also used a small electrician’s type screwdriver to lever it out. When the old seal was out I put a small amount of engine oil onto the inner face of the seal and pushed it into place along the camshaft, and then as I said earlier for the final 5mm to 10mm I used the 36mm, (I think that is the size), socket to gently and evenly tap the seal into place in its recess.

Next it was a reassembly of the back plate, pulley, belts and setting it all up for TDC and all of the rest to set up the timing.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I then had a camshaft “end” exposed and was I able to see the old leaking seal, as Woody said I also used a small electrician’s type screwdriver to lever it out. When the old seal was out I put a small amount of engine oil onto the inner face of the seal and pushed it into place along the camshaft, and then as I said earlier for the final 5mm to 10mm I used the 36mm, (I think that is the size), socket to gently and evenly tap the seal into place in its recess.
ok cool. Good trick.

Tonight I will make a more permanent solution with 2 pieces of metal for the 10mm bolts to go through under the back plate that will just press on the edge of the seal rims to stop them popping out in the future. Piece of mind.

Something like AHM have done but not for 80 flippin quid!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts