Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all on the exhaust cam their is a sensor behind the cam wheel i think its a timing sensor but what i want to know is what does it do and what wound the symptoms be if it went down or started to play up.

Ted :confused:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I unplugged this one to improve access when swapping the lambda sensor (to get to the clip under the manifold).

Engine starts and runs, but injector light stays on (saying "Bob, you half-wit. If you unpulg something, plug it back in!")

No untoward noises, but didn't drive it, so don't know if it affects drivability (probably).

I think that AJ had a sensor in bits once.

Robert.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rjf.
AJ if you read this please give me your findings.

Ted :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would this be the cam phase sensor??? If so it runs like the lambda has gone I think :confused:

wrinx

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aarrrrrgggggg that might explain why i am having these symptoms, how can i check it ? :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a clue, bound to be a resistance or volt type test, try sending AJ a PM although I suspect his was just replaced, think a garage did it.

wrinx

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah its a cam phase sensor, works on the Hall effect type. There is a ring on the back of the exh pulley with cut outs, so the ECU knows where the cam is in relation to the crank.

It runs fine without it - I broke mine :rolleyes: when i changed the timing belt, I bent ever so slightly the ring and when it turned it smashed to bits :lol:

It's about £100 from a dealer (it comes on the mounting plate so is already aligned) - only downside, to fit you have to remove the exh pulley, so belts, etc off AGAIN.

I did it myself, found the hardest bit was trying to get the cabling through, it goes behind a plate behind the inlet cam, and around the back of the head, the steering reservoir had to be removed.

I'm pretty sure when I checked the sensor, it was like a £10 part, sure it was made by Honeywell, i can check if you want

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It seemed to run not too bad, but injector light stayed on all the time. after it had been revved and returned to idle, it always missed when you dab the throttle to pull away, meaning you stall if you dont give it a second or so to rev up, but apart from that it drove ok.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks m8 i'll do it this weekend and let you know my findings

ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts