Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, while I was doing the cambelt change on my newly acquired 2.5 v6 I notice that the cambelt locking tools do not fit both of the intake cams properly. The angle of all 4 cams seem to be correct, the tools sit flush on all 4 corners on both exhaust side and on the intake cams the tools sit flush on the side that bolted on to the caps, the issue is on the cam lobe side it seems like the lobe is taller than the cavity on the tool. The engine was out of a wrecked car I bought from an auction in Japan, so I don't have any information about what has been done to the car and since this is my first V6 the tools is also new from Alfaworkshop.co.uk.

2 possibility I can think of, 1 the tools has been made incorrectly, since they're made with a CNC mill the last pass of cutting might have not been done or they might have used the wrong files, but I think this is unlikely because the chance of having the same defect on both intake locking tools which has different profiles and has to be made separately is pretty low, 2 the intake cams are not stock, they have the part numbers of the 2.5 cams (60627667 on the rear bank), so they're not the GTA cams, but could they be reground cams?

Anyone have an insight or thought on this? or any way I can investigate this future? Thank you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can't imagine Gary would make a mistake like that with his camlocks!
Probably reground cams? I believe the profile of the intake and exhaust lobe is the same on the standard 2.5L cams, so you could compare yours and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
2004, Alfa Romeo 147
8 Posts
I have a similar problem whit my cam locks for 1.6 ts. Intake lock sits ok but exhaust cam lock has allot of play. 15929093294562034810366032999204.jpg 15929094599218338501301476548370.jpg
I order them from ebay. Are they incorrectly manufactured??

·
Registered
522 Posts
Are you sure you got the camlocks for the 1.6L and not the 1.8/2.0L (which are different)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't imagine Gary would make a mistake like that with his camlocks!
Probably reground cams? I believe the profile of the intake and exhaust lobe is the same on the standard 2.5L cams, so you could compare yours and see if there is a difference.
Yeah, a mistake with 1 is possible, but 2 and both on the intake is very unlikely. I'll compare the intake and exhaust tools, thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was wondering about that.. but the bevel at the side of the lobe seems to be good all the way around no?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think most likely it is wrong camlock, on the exhaust side anyway, inlet side may be correct lock.

If you look at the specs for both sets of cams:

..the 1.8/2.0L cams have an additional 2mm lift on exhaust.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think there would be quite a range of possibilities depending on visible wear pattern.. infrequent oil changes, blocked oil passages, sticky lifter/valve, defective camshaft ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a set of 3.2 camlocks from Gary at Totally Alfa.... unfortunately they are the same as 3.0. He asked for pics which I provided showing both camlocks.

I have chased him on a number of occasions for a refund....Todate.. nothing!!!

It's disappointed to say the least

I've had to buy another set which work as they should

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do anyone have mesurments for 1.6 camlocks?
No, sorry.

Someone suggested that the lobe might be worn, but it looks OK to me. My spare engine has a number of worn cam lobes, the wear is very obvious and very asymmetric, i.e. one lobe flank is obviously worn down and the other flank isn't (the flank which wears is the flank which opens the valve against spring resistance). As the flank wears away the 'nose' (tip) becomes a 'sharp' ridge across the width of the cam.

The lobe in your photo looks nothing like that, but symmetrrical and unworn as far as I can see. It looks like the camlock is the wrong one for that cam, or that cam is the wrong one for that camlock...?

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
2004, Alfa Romeo 147
8 Posts
No, sorry.

Someone suggested that the lobe might be worn, but it looks OK to me. My spare engine has a number of worn cam lobes, the wear is very obvious and very asymmetric, i.e. one lobe flank is obviously worn down and the other flank isn't (the flank which wears is the flank which opens the valve against spring resistance). As the flank wears away the 'nose' (tip) becomes a 'sharp' ridge across the width of the cam.

The lobe in your photo looks nothing like that, but symmetrrical and unworn as far as I can see. It looks like the camlock is the wrong one for that cam, or that cam is the wrong one for that camlock...?

Regards,
John.
i think that the best thing is that i order new cam locks...any suggestions where?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Laser Tools do a range of camlocks for the Alfa TS...somewhere like machinemart [dot] co [dot] uk sells various sets. Best of luck sorting the issue out..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does not look like a reground cam to me, reground cams dont have the beveled edge on them most of the time,
also with regrinding a cam they wont get higher as you can only remove material.

But in the pic it looks like the lift is too high for the lock.
Either cams with higher lift where fitted or the locks are incorrect.

And yes, profile is quite the same, so you could try any of the 4 locks just to see if one lock is wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts