Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Access is very tight. I have seen some inserts that just hammer in so I might be able to put one in the existing hole and use a smaller bolt with a sleeve at the pulley. Keeping all the tools and old belt in the boot just in case.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Just to revive an old thread, I found this when searching for "cam bolts" and I wish I'd found it earlier! I'm doing the cam belt on my wife's car just now and I've just gone and stripped the thread on one of the cam saddle clamp bolts when tightening it down on the cam locking tool! To be honest, I hardly put any torque on it at all, so it's possible that a previous mechanic has come close to stripping it in the same way during a previous cam belt change. (Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it)!

I've put the saddle clamp back on, tightened the bolt and the torque wrench clicked reassuringly at the specified torque, but clearly, there are a few less threads holding the bolt in now. Has anyone else had this happen and is the saddle likely to stay put? If so, I'll leave it 'til next time and see if I can get some of those longer bolts for then.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
You will probably be ok to leave it. With the blocks fitted the standard bolts only fit into a couple of the threads, so it will only be a the very top of the threads that have become damaged.

Aa long as it tightened up ok I would leave it. Chances are a longer bolt would not fit into the hole anyway without bottoming.

Some people use longer bolts than the standard ones to hold the camblocks on. I think Totally Alfa sell them. they are M7 which is quite an odd size.

·
Registered
497 Posts
When I bought my cam locks from totally alfa the longer bolts were about £2 extra or something

But I dont think you can use them to hold the shell in - i think they will bottom out (they work on the cam locks as they are taller)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Thanks for that. Well, I decided to risk it in the end. This is the last cam belt the car is ever likely to have to be honest. Oddly, I did find a longer bolt (the old 12 valve V6 thermostat housing on the 164 is also a fine-pitch M7) but it was too long. I could maybe have cut it down and run a die nut a bit further up the thread but as I didn't have a die nut, that wasn't an option! Also, aroughcircle is quite right, there are maybe only a couple of spare threads at the end of the existing bolts. WHY the hell did Alfa have to go for such a daft non-standard size of bolt?! Does anyone really think it wouldn't have worked with a standard M6 socket head bolt?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
When changing the belt on my car I used slightly longer bolts to hold the camlocks, as the original bolts only use a small amount of the thread due to the camblock being taller than the bearing cap. I think they are M8's

It is very easy to strip the top part of the thread if you don't do this or are heavy handed.
THREADS ARE M7

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
:LOL:

Lol, This thread is over 12 years old.

I know they are M7, I made a mistake in the post you quoted. Post #63 above says they are M7. ;)

61 - 67 of 67 Posts