Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone with the necessary knowledge can answer this one. I'm arranging my tame mechanic to do timing belt/tensioner/pulley/water pump change and I am wanting to make sure we have necessary locking kit for the job.

I've looked at sets listed specifically for Alfa such as this but I suspect that I am getting extra parts not strictly necessary for the job and/or my specific engine. The reason I say that is that a similar set just for a Vauxhall 1.9 CDTi 16v (Z19DTH) engine looks like this and is significantly cheaper.

The difference in the kits appears to be one extra part - namely the flywheel lock. Is this necessary for the job?

L

·
0 Posts
flywheel tool is needed for 8v & 10v engines only, so if yours is 16v then buy the cheaper set.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Indeed

You would not believe how many you see with full main dealer service history with it slapped all over the place

Ned
i know of some garages backing off tensioner sliding new belt on and pushing old off ....they call it bonus :wow:

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
i know of some garages backing off tensioner sliding new belt on and pushing old off ....they call it bonus :wow:
I heard of garages cutting the belt with a sharp blade along it's length with the engine running, switch the engine off, sliding half of the belt off, fitting new belt then cutting of the other half of the old belt:wow:

Ned

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did mine with a kit similar to the one advertised above, but still used a tipex pen, two markers per pulley just to be sure...Ed China style ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts