Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing a cambelt I decided to try & tidy up the parts but they've actually ended up looking worse to the point I wish I'd just left them covered in oil residue.

I've used Alubright to attempt to remove the corrosion but it's so bad I'm thinking of taking them somewhere to get them acid dipped. I assume it's safe to dip the whole cover? I'm wondering if there's any special coating on the cam cover inside?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s one near me so might nip down.
I’ve given another coat and left for a bit longer & it’s coming off slowly but very tedious. I think I just caught it in time before it got into the injector seats.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Before and after of my injector plates following aqua blasting. And coil cover following wet and dry and then polishing but if I did it again I would start with Aqua blasting.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 932944 View attachment 932945

Before and after of my injector plates following aqua blasting. And coil cover following wet and dry and then polishing but if I did it again I would start with Aqua blasting. View attachment 932947

View attachment 932946
Thanks for the replies. I took them to my local blasters and they bead blasted them. Didn’t come out 100% perfect but so much better. I’ve sprayed this stuff over them that’s meant to protect the metal so will see how that holds up.

I’m going to have to have the rest done now. How did you repaint the red? By hand?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I took them to my local blasters and they bead blasted them. Didn’t come out 100% perfect but so much better. I’ve sprayed this stuff over them that’s meant to protect the metal so will see how that holds up.

I’m going to have to have the rest done now. How did you repaint the red? By hand?
View attachment 932970
On mine the powder coater did it
I had everything sand blasted though and the the two intake runner got spray painted with heat resistant silver paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Before and after
The throttle body I cleaned using a dremel and than spray paint heat resistant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ive had mine blasted, They looked great in the summer

the corrosion has set in again after a few months in a damp garage. I dont really like the look of painted covers vs the bare metal but Im not sure what you can do in this damp country to protect them long term.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have some of that too but not tried it yet and the polished bits are in the house at the moment. Bikers swear by ACF-50 or XCP Rust Blocker on alloy I have used ACF 50 which leaves a slight film and needs re applying every 3 months or so, not tried XCP but is supposed to be more duarable but leaves more of a deposit I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts