Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 Q4 cam chain is on 112000, I am daunted by the cost of the clutch and chain going in the same year, I would like to start a survey of how many miles people have got their chains to?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
See this is the negative things about forums being that you can read about so many problematic cars of the same type of which you own and then assume it’s only a matter of time before your car suffers the same fate.

Keep driving it and enjoying it or you will for ever be treading on eggshells thinking something will go wrong with the car of the same nature of what you’ve read up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
As above just keep driving it while there are no issues just keep on top of regular oil changes. Especially with the V6 as they benefit from decent oil changed regularly don’t stick to the Alfa schedule.

Not a V6 but my mrs’ G has oil and filter every 6 months or 6k. I do annual service at MOT time and then a mid year oil and filter. Same with every car I own.

·
Registered
586 Posts
the chain on mine was done at 110,000 and its now on 138,000

if its well maintained with regular oil changes then the chain will last a very long time

an engine warning light will come on when the chain starts to stretch so I wouldn't worry until that happens

mace in Australia do a very good chain kit that is very well priced and top quality

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I’ve got in cars at work with less than 20k on the clock that have had an engine light on. Probably 20% of the 600-800 cars that I start or drive in a week will have EML lights on - but drive fine, I’ve come to ignore them and not so much see them as a horror story.

Cars do have their issues in all forms, makes, and models.. it doesn’t mean they’ll all cost an arm and a leg to fix up

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
….yeah....but most of those will be electrical issues and sensors.....not multi thousand pound (in some places on the V6 at least) cam chain replacement bills. Very poor design on these cars (2.2 and 3.2). A cam chain should last the life of the engine. But I when it snaps ...I guess it DID last the life of the engine!! At least with a cambelt you know when you need to change it....if it snaps because you have missing the change interval then you have no one to blame but yourself! Must come as bit of a surprise if you suddenly need a chain at 50,000 miles or less....as some on here have.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Apparently, these chains are no harder to change than a regular cambelt service. The cost of the job could be as little as having a garage do a cambelt change (approx £700) with the engine still in situ.
Some have paid that price. I believe NOGRIP did his for that and added a clutch too, but he obviously took the engine out...

I’m under the impression that the main cost is labour £50 per hour?? X 20 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
I believe NOGRIP did his for that and added a clutch too, but he obviously took the engine out...
A bit less than 700 quid and I did a subframe refurb and new radiator in the price whilst the engine was out aswell. It's not that difficult compared to some jobs. As for snapped chains that's very very rare - plenty of snapped belts though.
No chain will get near 112k - oh hang on...

·
Registered
234 Posts
alfaitalia;17515989 A cam chain should last the life of the engine. But I when it snaps ...I guess it DID last the life of the engine!! [/QUOTE said:
Kind of like in the early 2000's with ZF's and their 'sealed for life' transmissions.

Car manufacturers might as well say the engine oil is 'sealed for life' and when the car comes to a grinding halt and seizes up, well there is their life.

Usually cam-chains are ok. It's just when they are rattle a lot at start up, and beyond start-up that you need to start factoring in a replacement. If you have frequent oil changes it will increase chain and general engine life. It Depends how much you use the car as well. If it is only once a week for 100 kms you could probably get by with a one year oil change. If you use it every day, but only 10kms a day 6 months could be beneficial.

The 3.2 is based off a GM unit that was made in Australia. I had a quick look online and some of the cars (Holden commodores) running that engine for sale in my country have had cam-chain replacements from about 150,000kms to 190,000kms.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the 2.2 and 3.2 did not have similar issues with the chains. The 2.2 had a single and the v6 double chain.On the hfv6 it is mostly the tensioners that go bad, especially after the facelift. Mine is over 200k kms and still haven't done chains. On BMWs and Audis it is way more expensive and difficult task.Everything is subject to entropy and decay in life,so...BTW, there are many powerplants whose lifespan doesn't extend to that milage. If anyone knows a car than only needs oil changes and filters for 1 mln kms, do LMK...unless its a derv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts