Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on my little problem: I've just had my timing belt kit etc. changed and when the plastic engine cover was removed, we found that the plastic cam box cover was melted, mostly on the left hand side. The wiring plug on coil 1 also looks a little warped.

Has this happened to anyone else or anyone have an idea why it happened?

L

·
0 Posts
you refer to the cam/rocker cover? the black one under the silver engine 'dress-up' cover?

i suspect the HT pack needs replacing , as it is breaking down & therefore melting the cover.

or perhaps was a spark plug loose?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add that the melting is in the general left side not just aroung the connection. The mechanic isn't sure why but it's also warped the inside of the shiny engine cover.

L

·
0 Posts
How long do you own this car?

It could be an issue inherited form the previous ownership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had it about 6 mths, I'm sure this has happened in the last week, as recall one day smelling burnt plastic on arriving at work, but that's not unusual at work, so no alarm bells- fool me! It's normally then when she gets a run in too. Could low oil level cause the top to get that hot as I needed a top up yesterday?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I've seen seriously overheating engines hissing and popping, but not seen them melt the plastic cover....hot oil certainly wouldn't melt it....I've got plenty of covers if you need one...but I do suspect some electrical issue causing it, which should be investigated:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We think the same thing, I'm going to have the coil and leads changed as a precaution. I will need a cover too if you can pm me? I'll have to check the on the part number but it's an '02 147 2.0.
Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts