Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (1996 P-Reg 2.0 16v 58K miles) is having its Cambelt and Balancer belts changed later this week, looking through old threads it seems that I should have the two (cambelt & balancer) tensioners replaced too. There is also a mention of a Cam Variator, can someone explain to me what this does? I have listened to the example given on one old thread on what it sounds like if the variator bearings have gone, and can gladly say my car is yet to sound like a diesel. Should I still have it replaced out of precaution?. Is Part No. 60666199 for the white cam variator still valid? I have been quoted £160 for both belts and labour, presume I will add another £150 for both tensioners and the Cam Variator.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dont worry about the variator if it aint broke dont fix it.even if it was faulty(diesel noise)it wouldnt do any lasting harm to your engine.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jimybob,
If I didn't get the variator changed wouldn't it cost alot more to get it fixed at a later date. Thought that as I had the belts off it would be cheaper to change now? Regards...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh thats fine, if you have the extra money to spend you may as well have it done, i hope the garage is one that has the proper cam locking tools you cant do the variator without them.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres the tool and a picture of the tool in place on a 2.0 16v.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I'd get the variator replaced while they're in there doing the belts. I was charged about £70 for the part last week, but I think you will save on labour if you have both belts and variator done at the same time.

Plus, if you don't have it done now you can almost guarantee (according to sod's law) that 500 miles down the road the variator will go and you'll have to shell out for extra labour costs :rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking by the picture Jimybob supplied of the cam locking tool, having the variator replaced would mean new gaskets etc for the cam cover, this correct? Listened to my engine again today and it maybe mind games but the engine sounds more rattlely!. You reckon having both belt tensioners replaced aswell is a good idea?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts