Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a really naff end to the day. Pulling onto a dual carriageway cam belt let go at about 6500rpm, lots of rattles, dipped the clutch and pulled over as soon as I could, but I'm thinking huge damage.

So, Alfaholics of the world, what do you reckon? Would it be cheaper to grab a second hand engine from Autolusso (I'm in MK and the car currently has just been dropped off by a friendly RAC man to Days in MK) and get it fitted or try and rebuild the existing engine?

It's a 98 T Plate 156, annoying thing was the belt was done just under 3 years ago and the engine itself has got 80k on it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agreed, or just get a set of heads... How many miles had it done in those 3 years? Were the tensioners changed too?

Lucky it wasn't your GT... I've just changed the belt on my new GT. Tensioners were on their way out and the belt began to rub on the cam cover. Would of gone bang soon if I didn't catch it.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
If it was me I would search out a good 3.0 and stick that in.

It is pretty much a straight swap and will transform the car compared to a 2.5

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only did 15k in the past 3 years, tensioners and water pump at the same time & mostly short little runs as it wasn't a main car until recently. Then the Mrs's Stilo decided to shed it's dual mass flywheel last week, so it's been pretty much everywhere with the Mrs behind the wheel.

I was tempted with a 3 ltr, but struggling to find one with a reasonable history and my car bills so far this month are at £1500, so rather tight for dosh.

I was lucky with my GT as well, 45k on the original belt (mine was a 05 plate) as the garage I bought it from lied nicely about the fact it had changed, mine was 18mm wide when it was changed after noticing the running was bad as it skipped a couple of teeth.

Anyone got a 3ltr donor around with the bits I would need?

G

·
0 Posts
Personally if you add up the cost it would probably be cheaper to buy another car unless you intend to do the work yourself but it not a quick job ? Depends on how much AL want to do the job? Need to work out the costing carefully and how long you can afford to have it off the road?

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy another 156 v6 than to fix your one for sure. But that being said a lot of 156 V6s are in a bad way these days and putting one right even if it doesn't need engine work can also be expensive. If your 156 is otherwise in really good condition it may be worth fixing.

Cheapest solution is a replacement 2.5 engine and just replace it, even a pair of used heads, a headgasket set plus a skim x 2 (at a minimum, ideally you'd relap in all 24 valves and replace the valve stem oil seals while its apart) is going to be probably more expensive than a used engine. Plus at 6,500rpm the piston tops and maybe the bottom end will have taken a proper battering.

If you love the car, put a 3 litre in it. Engine cost is a little more than a used 2.5 but not a great deal in the grand scheme of things. It will transform it, I loved my old 3 litre it was an absolute weapon and had bags more character than the GTA that replaced it.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
By the way, worth asking if the idler bearings where changed 3 years ago? Wouldn't surprise me if the belt is real thin because of wobbly idler bearings causing the belt to slip off and rub away on the casings. Post up a pic of the belt if you get the chance, it'd be interesting to see it. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will post some pics when it's apart. It's over at Days at the mo as they are my more local guys just around the corner from where it went pop. You guys have seen it as well for a few things, it's the silver one that I had you fit the Bilstein / Eibach kit to 9 months or so ago.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Well if you've already got the suspension it'd be a shame not to 3 litre it :D

C

·
0 Posts
By the way, worth asking if the idler bearings where changed 3 years ago? Wouldn't surprise me if the belt is real thin because of wobbly idler bearings causing the belt to slip off and rub away on the casings. Post up a pic of the belt if you get the chance, it'd be interesting to see it. :)
I've never seen the idler bearings fail pud, sure you don't mean the tensioner - which does fail and cause the belt to rub on the outer shields.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Purely an amateurs view, but I too would be really concerned about the bottom end after losing the belt at 6k5. I have my doubts about many of the belt failure repairs where folk don't even inspect the bottom end TBH.

I think it would be rude not to put a 3.0 in now :)

ETA Chris - I've seen failed idler bearings before. On my own 166, the lower one was getting close to it I think - noisy and dry with play in it.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
I've never seen the idler bearings fail pud, sure you don't mean the tensioner - which does fail and cause the belt to rub on the outer shields.
I've seen either of the two idler bearings or the tensioner bearing fail and cause this, but on 2.5s most often the idlers (probably because most got a belt & tensioner at 72k but nothing else, so if the waterpump doesn't kill them first then the idler bearings do).

This one was an amazing save:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/244602-well-that-was-lucky.html

I can't remember which of the idlers was the cause but neither were too great, bearings felt rough and one you could wiggle the outer part while holding the inner.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone got a 3ltr donor around with the bits I would need?
I have a 3 litre V6 Alfa 166 being stripped. I suspect my motor has spun crank bearings, significant death rattle and tight to turn over.

I'm sure the heads - valves will be good but I've not taken them off yet.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
So, as a real newbie to 156 V6 ownership, is it poss for me to do a simple inspection, regularly, please? If yes, how please?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts