Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 3.0 Auto and both my bottom Cam Belt tensioners have gone and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I have been advised that it is likley that the belt would have become loose and slipped a couple of teeth. I must admit that it didn't sound to good when i was nursing it back home as it was running like a bag of nails. ( i initailly thought it was only running on 3 or 4 cylinders )

If the belt has slipped is it likley that there will be any valve damage and result in an engine rebuild ? :(

If anyone can help with this please as i am wondering whether to have £500.00 worth of work done to see if the car will run again or if i should break it. If it is likley it will not run and will require the Head sorting it would be more econmical to say goodbye and look for a new one.

Unless anyone knows where i can get a cheap replacemnt V6... :D

The car has done 102k and can't be worth much more that 4.5k and looking on the forums looks like a rebuild could cost anywhere in the region of 2.5 to 3k and to be honest it's not in the best of conditions as it was backed into a brick wall 2 weeks before it went off the road and needs both bumpers respraying in Pearlescent paint !!!

Any advice would be apreciated.....Many thanks....Rod

·
Registered
741 Posts
Cambelt tensioner can be bad news for the heads - but not necessarily terminal, If you have a good mechanic or are brave at DIY.
Contact EBS spares for cheap valves, valve guides and a head kit. They will even loan the cam setting tools. Main dealer price can be £2500 easily. Bummer isn't it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Had the belts and stuff been replaced at the proper times?

Sounds like it is a write off if you can't find someone to fix it cheaply.

Breaking it will give a good return of cash, but plenty of messing about getting rid of all the bits.

speak to EBSpares, maybe Mangoletsi (main dealer but generally helpful) and see what they think.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If the valves are bent but heads are good then costs are not prohibitive.

I spent £2900 (main dealer at £65/hour!!) and that was with some discount as an AROC member.

I needed new valves/belt tensioner etc. I ended up getting new heads as the stealer were a load of terry f*@kwits. They told me that it would be cheaper to get ready assembled heads with valves already lapped in etc otherwise there would be many hours of labour fitting and lapping 24 new valves (don't know why as Machine mart sell a power tool that claims to do it seconds). Turns out Alfa don't supply this ready assembled head/valve so they ordered 2 new heads at £500 each (didn't tell me) even though old ones were OK apart from needing new valve guides.

Costs really depend on head damage (if any) and labour charge as much as parts. If you can do it yourself, which is not beyond a competent DIY mechanic. Strip it yourself first - not that difficult really and save £500 - take heads to good indepedent or specilaist machine shop, then decide on rebuild or scrap. If engines trashed you'll be lucky to get £1500.

If you scrap I'll have your inlet tubes x6 and passenger side xenon headlamp unit. Has it got Sat Nav?
All the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone or the replies, just got the car back and as luck would have it the beast is fine...Had the car taken over to Interservices in Leicester with the cam tensioners etc already stripped out. Basically cost me around £200 in labour to find out if it was a donor or not, considering the Cam locking tool is around £100.00 i thought it was a bargain...Anyway all's fine now apart from the car won't start, ( see my nw thread )

Anyway....no spares from me this time, that'll teach me not to look after the car properly and have it serviced as per the schedule...DOH... :tut:

Cheers....Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts