Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my mate look at a couple of potential phase 2 TS's and he's found one with no service history except a single receipt for cam belt work.

Seen a few signs of oil leaks but nothing definite, we suspect maybe past head gasket problems and he's worried it'd end up needing a new engine. So, we are wondering if anyone can help go over this receipt, please.

#46772217 Gasket
#71747777 Front Pipe
#60611771 Aux Silencer
#60671573 Bearing
#60620443 Belt Stretcher
#55192240 Adj bearing
#71719648 Timing belt
#60655592 Rocker Gasket
and 3.5 hours labour.

Does this sound like a simple cam belt change (as per service interval) or could it be that its had cambelt/head gasket/other engine killing failure of some sort before. If so, does this mean the engine is on borrowed time?

Thanks for any help/insight/advice.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Dont know the GTV specifically but that looks pretty standard for a TS belt change.

The gasket, front pipe and aux silencer are all exhaust parts. The other parts look to be normal parts required during a belt change

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Is it a 2 litre as there should be a balance belt and the adjuster that goes with it?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The good news is, it looks like the cam belt has been done. The bad news is the balance belt hasn't. If the balance belt fails, it could take the cam belt with it. It can be done now as it is in front of the cam belt so the timing etc won't have to be touched. I would guess a couple of hours labour.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
mitch, do you mind if i pick your learned brain? As regards the balance belt, can that be replaced along with its tensioner without the cam lock tools etc, ie: all i will need is the balance belt tensioner tool!? and loosen the Aux belt and then just undo the balance belt and its tensioner and then bolt in a new tensioner and bob's me uncle!

What, perplexes me is that you say its a couple of hrs labour! i with no expeience though but, plenty of research had guesstimated alf hr!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Car jacked up, the front off side wheel off, wheel arch cover off, aux belt removed, aux belt idler roller has to come off to get the 2 cam belt covers off. The only special tool needed is the balance belt tensioner adjust tool although the nut for the tensioner is recessed behind the air-con compressor so an off set ring spanner is a must if you don't want to remove the compressor. New belt (set the notches on the balance shaft pulleys to 12 o'clock) new tensioner and reverse procedure! I reckon about 2 hours on your own. :)

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Balance belt has yellow marks on it that match to the notches on the balance shaft pulleys and crankshaft pulley. Have tensioner set tight, forward rotate engine twice and then tension balance belt to correct setting (there might be a picture somewhere showing the cut-out and indication method). If you cannot find one I can email you scanned pictures from the manual. Surprised this is not shown on the invoice as the balance belt has to come off to do the cam belt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts