Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
I recently moved to Pretoria from Bloem, I have a 2000 model 156 Selespeed and really need some advice and help if possible. I recently came back from Bloem over a weekend and as I was driving into Town it seems the cam belt broke, now I am told just to open the engine and give me a quote would cost about R4000-00 by a big Alfa garage in Pta, further they told me that the valves would most certainly have bent and that meant R30 000-00 to fix everything. I called the guys at Glenwood and they said they could do it for about R16 000-00. Is this what it costs or are there other options? Further, if they fix the valves, cam belt and so on, do they also need to look at the main bearings or what? Can anyone please assist me with some help.:cry:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Best they certainly check the big end, connecting rod bearings, as apparently they can fail after being subjected to excessive compressive force, as this squashes the comparatively soft white metal, or lead indium, or....... whatever the alloy material used is now called?:): Hi! and welcome.:):

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hi Guys.
I recently moved to Pretoria from Bloem, I have a 2000 model 156 Selespeed and really need some advice and help if possible. I recently came back from Bloem over a weekend and as I was driving into Town it seems the cam belt broke, now I am told just to open the engine and give me a quote would cost about R4000-00 by a big Alfa garage in Pta, further they told me that the valves would most certainly have bent and that meant R30 000-00 to fix everything. I called the guys at Glenwood and they said they could do it for about R16 000-00. Is this what it costs or are there other options? Further, if they fix the valves, cam belt and so on, do they also need to look at the main bearings or what? Can anyone please assist me with some help.:cry:
Bad luck mate, If Glenwood charge R16K then I would go for that, its a very good price plus they well known. Down here in KZN you looking at around R25K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts