Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.cambelt went on my 2003 156 jtd 16v 2 weeks ago only done 60000 miles!!!!!:cry: then found out by my dad who just got his 147 service by alexanders at teeside that if my 156 was under the 72000miles or 5 years they would try and help.they got in touch with alfa and told me would have to pay for parts and some of labour.:thumbs: got alexanders to do work.then got in touch with on thurs all work done has cost alfa 1400 quid to the job:eek: but all ive got pay is 85 quid:wow: :wow:alfa has done all the work under warranty coz car was under 5 years old.:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Thats really good stuff :thumbs:

I take it that it was your waterpump that had seized then, and they've replaced that, fitted new rockers, gaskets, belt kit, etc etc, and she's all running well again now?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
was just timing belt but had damaged the water pump.
Other way round.

Becoming common for 16v JTD waterpumps to seize and snap the cambelt.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
was just timing belt but had damaged the water pump.she runs like a dream again:)
What was the reason they gave you for its premature failure?

Its just ALL the 16v JTD cambelt failures we've seen on here, bar one, was due to waterpump seizure. This is why a fair few of us on here are now recommending waterpump replacement with every belt change.

The one failure that wasn't due to the waterpump was a manufacturing defect in the timing belt itself..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know it's better than getting hit for the full wack but if the car is under warranty and it's got good service history why did you have to pay anything?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
So putting aside the official service interval what would be recommended as a sensible interval for cambelt/tensioner/water pump replacement for these engines?

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
I know it's better than getting hit for the full wack but if the car is under warranty and it's got good service history why did you have to pay anything?
Its not under warranty. It was out of warranty, but the belt broke before the change interval stated by Alfa. Fixed under goodwill, except the £85. So in effect he's just had a belt and waterpump change for £85. Bargain :thumbs: :lol:

So putting aside the official service interval what would be recommended as a sensible interval for cambelt/tensioner/water pump replacement for these engines?
Personally, 4 years maximum. I wouldn't be too fussed about the miles covered.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Personally, 4 years maximum. I wouldn't be too fussed about the miles covered.
yes that seams to be when the failures start happening

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they didnt say if it was coz of water pump but it broke the rockers aswell.the parts bill alone before my 90% discount was 765 quid so i think i did very out of alfa.cant thank alexanders enoungh for all there help they were great:)

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Rockers on diesels are "sacrificial" and this saves the valves. Happened on a mate's Jeep engine ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts