Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
I recently moved to Pretoria from Bloem, I have a 2000 model 156 Selespeed and really need some advice and help if possible. I recently came back from Bloem over a weekend and as I was driving into Town it seems the cam belt broke, now I am told just to open the engine and give me a quote would cost about R4000-00 by a big Alfa garage in Pta, further they told me that the valves would most certainly have bent and that meant R30 000-00 to fix everything. I called the guys at Glenwood and they said they could do it for about R16 000-00. Is this what it costs or are there other options? Further, if they fix the valves, cam belt and so on, do they also need to look at the main bearings or what? Can anyone please assist me with some help.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear the bad news... Not sure what prices are like in SA, but yes - they should check (replace) the big-end bearings as they may have been damaged during the collision between the pistons and the valves.

It may be cheaper to drop a recon engine into it.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
it depends on the speed your were driving when the belt went bang !
I once had it in a traffic jam, almost no speed at all, but nevertheless we put new pistons and valves in.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
it doesnt really make much difference on what speed you were going, motorway or sat still at idle, the damage will be done, it will definately need some new valves, worst case scenario is cracked pistons (happened to mine) although not that common, if the pistons are damaged it will be cheaper to put a recon engine in

i hope you are lucky and just need a few valves, its not nice when this happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts