Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

its time for my cam belt change rang around a few garages to get some quotes......usual story of over priced £700+ for the full belt and tensioners from an alfa main dealer....but what was weird was that some of the garages mentioned that some 155's had chains instead of belts...is this true :confused: :confused: :confused: ....I was always under the impression that the chains had been phased out on earlier models or am i just being stupid :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tis true the 8 valve has chain driven cams 1.7l, 1.8l & 2.0l, the 1.8l was carried over into the early Widebody cars until Alfa introduced the 1.8l 16 valve engine :rolleyes:

B

·
0 Posts
The 8v had cam chain but all of the 16v had belts

It's worth trying to find an independant alfa dealer as they can be substancially cheaper. probably in the region of £450-£500.

A work collegue had the same story of £700, until I recommended K and L Autos in Golders Green. He saved about £200.

Perhaps some of the other guys can recommend someone in your area??

How about Automeo, www.automeo.co.uk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys that clears that problem up....

automeo looks like a good bet and finally a alfa garage close to me this one's like 5 miles away.....great

W

·
0 Posts
I think thats Les Dufty's place...wonder if he's still got the SZ? He has a good reputation, I spoke to him once on the phone, very helpful.

wrinx

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah it is les's place....it would be a miricle if i could find a good independent garage.,....hey wrink have u ever looked into doing cam belt changes yourself. :confused: :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Nooo, no, no, no :eek: I don't have time for my own cars really...and I'm not a mechanic, just a dodgy DIY'er like the rest of us ;) :D

Having said that, the cambelt and variator is a simple enough job ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think i is gonna do it myself....as long as i take my time it should be fine...... :( :(

Well thats what im gonna keep telling myself anyway....

So now i need to start collecting all the bits...any suggestions as to a good supplier of service parts.... :confused:

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks wrink....the locking tool is a problem as i dont have one but looks like i can hire one from eb spares so will probably go down that road....the only problem now if fashioning the tool for the variator... should be fun.... :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thanks....i saw this on the AO...dont think i would have attempted it had it not been for this article.....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Last 2.0 16v I did, I thought the customer had change of £350. That was belts, variator and tensioner. As the labour charge was only about £100 and the parts profit margin is small, begs the question why DIY? At least a reputable garage would give 12 months parts and labour (by law). :)

W

·
0 Posts
Wahey..where ya been Ally?

Two reasons for DIY....saving that £100 of labour and secondly Why does anyone work on their own car...the satisfaction of doing it yaself ;)

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mr T sold his cam locking set to AO. Maybe Ian will hire it out.
BTW, does the V6 need the locking tools ????

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with wrink.... when uv done a big job on ur car and at the first turn of the key it doesnt detonate into a million pieces thats a good feeling....

HOwever

If i could find a garage who would do it for 350 then i would probably think again...... but cheapest quote i got is way over that.. :mad:

W

·
0 Posts
marlon said:
I'm pretty sure Mr T sold his cam locking set to AO. Maybe Ian will hire it out.
BTW, does the V6 need the locking tools ????
Only the quad cam V6...we're lucky ;)

wrinx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts