Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT 3.2 V6 with around 35K kilometers, ( 22K miles) and the 3 years is coming up in a couple of months.

I was told by my current service people that the belts need changing at 3 years or 60K kilometers. I rang another Alfa service centre and they said that only applied to 4CYL. models and the suggested change for V6 models was 5 years or 120K kilometers. I asked them if they were sure of that and the guy said definitely and he had the Alfa Elearn intranet screen in front of him with the official Alfa suggestion.

Now I don't know who to believe. No doubt this has been discussed a thousand times but could people pleeazze give me some input on what the latest is on the cam belt change fiasco as related to the 3.2L V6 engine. I don't want to risk blowing the engine up obviously but nor do I want to chuck money away unnecessarily. Also is it the amount of mileage on belts that is the risk factor or is it the age? I imagine that mileage is the biggest concern with age being a much lower risk input.

Thanks for any input. :confused:

Regards,

Vic

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, further to my posting I did speak to Alfa Romeo Australia and even though the UK still has the 5 year recommendation for V6s and diesels, in Australia they have changed it to 3 years (60K) regardless in keeping with most cambelt recommendations in other car marques.

I guess that even though in the UK it's 5 years for both the 3.2 V6 and the diesel it might be worth while to be overly cautious given that most of the other cars manufacturers are going for 3 years regardless. To quote Clint Eastwood ... "Are you feeling lucky - punk".

One interesting thing that the Alfa guy I spoke to said was that the new models, (or some of them at least), are going to timing chains. I've wondered why timing chains were made obsolete and presumed it was to do with noise and/or stretching.

Anyhow I'm going to change my belts at 3 years even though I've got f'all mileage on the car.

The Alfa guy is sending me an official copy of the recommendation in PDF format so if anyone wants a copy yell out.

Vic

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Interesting to hear that ARA have droped the V6 milage, I would have recommended replacing it at 4 years or 60K miles, but here the service is due at 5 years or 72K miles.

But yes 3 years or 36K miles would be better for all TS, JTS, JTD and V6 engines with rubber belts IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My V6 GT is booked in for a belt and waterpump change next week. Late '54 reg so probably about 5yrs old now. Milage 29K (46K kil). I've got everything crossed that it keeps going until then!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i can confirm that in Aus, the scheduled belt change is every 60K km or 3 years, whichever is sooner.

having mine done in July/Aug, which is 3 years for mine...and under 20K km. ;)

what are you asking on UK forums for, anyway? :p ;)

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can also confirm the 3 years or 60K - as per Alfa Aust.
I find myself in the same situation. Mine has also only done 34K and the 3 years comes up in aug.But don't want to risk it!

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
what are you asking on UK forums for, anyway?
Not really a diplomatic way of putting it, shiny car.

You could, of course, set up your own Forum in Australia with an attitude like that:lol:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Not really a diplomatic way of putting it, shiny car.

You could, of course, set up your own Forum in Australia with an attitude like that:lol:
:D you detected my subtle hint there? :p yes, we have ausalfa forums, and that was my way to encourage him to join, without blatantly advertising it. :p

stop whinging. ;) i'm going back to my BBQ.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts