Alfa Romeo Forum banner

cam belt change 1.6 diesel

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  phil hes 
#1 ·
Hi i'm thinking of doing the cam belt change anything i should no first before i start.
is there a locking tool kit i need to buy and do i need it.
I have a 1.6 16 plate.

#2 ·
#4 ·
This what's confusing me. just done my daughters mito with the cam locking tools. But the diesel looks like it doesn't need any. The instruction I've read from alfa workshop also just mentions lining the marks up and fitting the belt nothing about cam locking tools just seems odd

#5 ·
You can lock the crank and cams, I have a set here to do it. But I didn't use them, as fitting the locks is a hassle in itself.

#6 ·
Just done a 2.0 one. The belt should have white marks that correspond with marks on the crank pulley and cam pulleys. I don't think the cam pulleys are adjustable like the old JTDM where you were supposed to lock the cams to do the alignment.
Just be slow and methodical to make sure the new belt goes on correctly and make sure you know how to adjust the tensioner correctly.
The guide on AlfaWorkshop is pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.