Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to waterproof your boots?

I've just got a new pair and they did a great job of keeping the wet stuff out this morning but I want them to keep doing it. They are a mixture of nubuck and fabric with a gore-tex lining. I'm not concerned about looks, just durability.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you have the Gore Tex on board then don't water proof them!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Gore Tex is water proof and very breathable - (in my experience) any waterproof sprays or coatings will not be breathable and you will cancel out all the good work the Gore Tex is doing.

I had a pair of Ecco Yak skin boots and I just let them age and weather naturally and the Gore Tex just did its thang, perfectly! :thumbs:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,736 Posts
If you have the Gore Tex on board then don't water proof them!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
Gore Tex is water proof and very breathable - (in my experience) any waterproof sprays or coatings will not be breathable and you will cancel out all the good work the Gore Tex is doing.
that's good to know; i haven't done anything to mine bought in October. Thanks to the mild winter (and luck, i guess) they've not seen rain yet, so i put off rubbing in any coatings.

is GoreTex a fabric, or a treatment?

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not an expert - but I am a fan of Gore Tex. It's worth remembering that the Gore Tex fabric in most clothing or foot wear is not the outer layer. So if you seal off the outer layer (leather, nubuck, nylon, whatever) then the Gore Tex is powerless.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I've never done anything with my boots apart from scrub the mud off.... they are a mix of the same as the OP

Gone are the glory days of Dubbin

My hands used to be waterproof for weeks :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: Dubbin! Used to make a greasy mess of my rugby boots, waterproof - but I was usually soaked through anyway.

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
I havn't heard of dubbin for donkeys , my old man used to dubbin his boots and stick something similar on his Barbour shooting gear 30 odd years ago .
My dad did the same with his boots when he went mountain walking about 30 years ago. He's still got a tin of the stuff stashed away somewhere I'm sure.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I've had a pair of Karrimor KSB's for about 10 years never did anything other than brush the mud off them :)

Coupled with a pair of Karrimor Goretx gaiters I never get wet socks :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hi, Keithyboy:)

Winter walking I wear leather boots
and sealskin socks.
summer I wear light fabric(gor tex)boots etc.
Use nikewax products too refurbish,
having said that I wash and clean my
walking gear after ever walk.

Good walking in the New year.

John tL.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Goretex is a thin membrane which is impervious to water but passes water vapour. It can be attached to various fabrics and materials to waterproof them while being breathable.

You'll see a Goretex name tag on items of clothing/footwear made by various companies which include the membrane during manufacture. Goretex also make clothing items themselves, coats for all weathers, cycling gear and also footwear. It's even used in orthopaedic surgery, I kid you not - especially where ligaments are being reconstructed, over time, new ligamentous tissue grows along it and repairs the joint. It's also more recently used to make brake and gear cable inners for racing bikes. Very versatile stuff!

As has been said though, do not use waterproofing on Goretex items because you will block up the tiny pores which allow vapour and air to pass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Goretex, or any other waterproof membrane will only work efficiently, if the outer skin of the garment/footwear is able to shed water (if the top layer is saturated then the membrane can not shift the water vapour from inside). It is recommended that a dwr (durable waterproof repellent) is used if this happens, so that water beads and rolls off the outer layer, so enabling the membrane to let water vapour, i.e, sweat out.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love walking and often do up to 20miles across country. Depending on when/where it is, I'd be up for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts