Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 visits to the dealer and with no success it looks like I need to solve this problem myself, so I thought I would ask you lot first :D

Since new, and still having only covered 1400 miles, I have a creak and rattle coming from the boot/tailgate area, it's really difficult to narrow it down when you're driving and I have not had chance to be driven around whilst sitting in the boot yet!:p

The rubber seal has been lubricated ;) and I was informed that the bump stops had been adjusted. I had already treated the boot seal with seal feed and it seemed to stop it temporarily, but then gets gradually worse again.

It can be heard even at low speed and seems to be more from flex rather than being bumped, which makes me lean towards something rubber needing lube, but I just can't find anything?

Anyones else experience/solve it or have any bright ideas :thumbs:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Carb - not had this issue myself but seem to recall reading a thread that someone hd a similar issue cured by tightening the boot latch? Apparently can work loose? Worth a shot?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nello, I did adjust the boot latch a little last week, but probably not enough, I didn't want it to affect the shut lines.

I'll give it another tweak to stop the creak! :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fingers crossed mate but the report then was that it was definately loose.........best o'luck

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Mine has various squeeks and rattles, its a constant battle to eradicate one before another starts..... i even had new ones when i drove the car for the first time after i had been on holiday for 10 days....

The main one I had sounded like a spanner rattling round in an empty metal box (found to be something in the wheelarch) but i have noticed a creak when i reverse off my drive, across the slope at an angle, almost as if the body is twisting and seals are rubbing against each other.

Now i have chirping noises when i hit a ridge or bump in the road... found some of it dissappeared when i folded half the split seat down.... been meaning to put some talc between some of the joins where leather touches leather but not had time....

I find i am getting more and more obsesssive about this though and tend not to drive with radio/cd on whihc makes it worse.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I do get a bit obsessed with interior noises, but from memory I've always been the same, which is possibly why I've had so many german cars, they do tend to be rattle free!

Personally, when the car is new, you shouldn't be having any rattles or squeaks that are not easily solved by a bit of cleaning or lube. Leather is always a prime squeaker, but keeping it well conditioned and soft helps.

I have already added a couple of furry pads to the sides of the seatbelt sockets because they rubbed and squeaked against the seat which worked a treat. I also check the odd nuts, bolts, allen heads, torx, screws etc. I come across just to check they are not loose.

The tailgate creak is possibly the most annoying at the moment :(

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
no squeaks or rattles at all on mine

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check the spare wheel, if you havent already. The wheel or tools can chirp, knock and squeek depending on what rubbing/moving and against what.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the spare wheel, if you havent already. The wheel or tools can chirp, knock and squeek depending on what rubbing/moving and against what.
Yep, I have checked that, but thanks for the suggestion. I should perhaps take everything out that could possibly move and start from there. I do get the feeling though that the tailgate may have some play in the hinges causing it to creak on the seal...... :confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course you have firmer springs than me so anything loose is....amplified unfortunately.
Yeah............thanks for that :lol:

I didn't think this whole Alfa rattle/Stiff suspension thing through did I?:rolleyes:

Oh well, I've bought it now!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also have the creak issue from rear left side few weeks ago. Today, I found that the creak is caused by the rear seat folding lock. After I fold down the left side rear seat, the creak is disappeared! :) I will try to lubricate the lock, hope it can help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have the creak issue from rear left side few weeks ago. Today, I found that the creak is caused by the rear seat folding lock. After I fold down the left side rear seat, the creak is disappeared! :) I will try to lubricate the lock, hope it can help.
Funny you should say that, I have been investigating this afternoon.

I don't think it's the lock on mine, I think it's where the rubber seal on the load cover housing pushes onto the back of the rear seat. I've put some seal feed onto the whole rubber strip across the load cover housing and I think it's stopped it.

I have one more 'tinkle' noise and it's coming from under the plastic cover in the boot, on the nearside next to the window. Couldn't get it off easily though so might get the dealer to look..............again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
After 2 visits to the dealer and with no success it looks like I need to solve this problem myself, so I thought I would ask you lot first :D

Since new, and still having only covered 1400 miles, I have a creak and rattle coming from the boot/tailgate area, it's really difficult to narrow it down when you're driving and I have not had chance to be driven around whilst sitting in the boot yet!:p

The rubber seal has been lubricated ;) and I was informed that the bump stops had been adjusted. I had already treated the boot seal with seal feed and it seemed to stop it temporarily, but then gets gradually worse again.

It can be heard even at low speed and seems to be more from flex rather than being bumped, which makes me lean towards something rubber needing lube, but I just can't find anything?

Hi Carb

may sound obvious but have yuu tried the spare tyre securing rod - is it tight and the foam rubber around it? in square?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Carb

may sound obvious but have yuu tried the spare tyre securing rod - is it tight and the foam rubber around it? in square?
I took it all out yesterday to be sure. In fact, I took everything out, load cover, tools, spare wheel and went for a drive.

I think the prime cause is the seat/load cover rubber seal, but I haven't been far yet for a true test, so I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a very annoying squeak from the handle that you pull up to release the load cover (i.e. the handle that is part of the load cover itself, on the right hand end). Fixed it with a bit of WD40.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Carbonio,

I had the same issue and its a two minute job (sounds like a metallic sound as you go over undulations/bumps). Your instincts were right - its the boot latch which is not in the right position.

Open the tailgate - you need to untighten the two allen heads that hold the boot latch on the (fixed) lower sill (you may have to pop two plastic covers off to access the screws) -once loosened you will find that the holes enable you to alter the position of the latch and its a case of trial and error until you sort it. Shouldn't affect shut lines.

Rgds

166lover

1 - 17 of 17 Posts