Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might have noticed in my other thread the issues we've been having with the hood on our Spider LE (just been in for the seventh time and still not fixed for good - the car was only delivered on July 16 and the hood packed up on August 14 and hasn't worked since).

Anyway, it's had its motors replaced either twice or three times (depending on who you believe) but Alfa's own technicians, who were sent to the dealership to look at it, are insisting it's still the motors that are causing the fault - apparently they've asked Alfa to consider upgrading the motors used.

What I don't get, is that if the motors currently being used don't work, then how come there seems to be plenty of Spider LEs out there with working hoods??

So, to help me understand, if you're the owner of a Spider LE, please let me know if :

a) you've had problems with the hood and it hasn't been fixed
b) had problems that were fixed and reoccurred
c) had problems that were fixed and seem fixed for good
d) hood has always worked fine

That would be really helpful. Thanks!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
re: Calling all Spider & Spider LE owners - Hood problems

Would you like me to "stick" this thread?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

The motors in the LE are no different to any other Spider.

So its better to ask all Spider owners.

BTW, no issues with my motors.

Id bet quite a lot that the issue isnt directly with the motors. Maybe there is a problem somewhere else in the mechanism that is putting extra strain on the motors?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

No issues with mine - 17 months in and used almost daily.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The motors in the LE are no different to any other Spider.

So its better to ask all Spider owners.

BTW, no issues with my motors.

Id bet quite a lot that the issue isnt directly with the motors. Maybe there is a problem somewhere else in the mechanism that is putting extra strain on the motors?
That's interesting, that's exactly what ARUK have just told us - and yes then I guess all Spider owners. Previously I'd been told that the motors were substituted for a cheaper version on the 08s but clearly that wasn't true.

I agree strongly with you that I suspect the motors are failing as a result of another component - I can't see any other reason why other cars with the same motors have no issue but ours fail again and again. However, ARUK have a different explanation - that some motors are 'good' and continue to work, and some motors are 'bad' and don't. Apparently, once you find a 'good' motor, it's OK :thumbs:

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

Our Spider is an LE, appears the mechanism is no different to any other Spider, and everything has worked properly from day one. It's our first soft top so I've not really got an idea of what's wrong with yours I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I've had passenger window problems which meant I couldn't open the roof, I'm on my thord passenger window mech and control unit ... but all working fine now ... touch wood

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi gregch

I have a Spider (not an LE) and have recently had hood problems.

The hood is up and I am driving along when the chime goes and a message appears that says "Closing cycle not completed". When this happens, I've been no where near the hood button but in order to clear the alarm, I have to stop and push the hood close button. The windows drop, the hood tensions, the windows close and all is well with the world until the chime sounds the next day!

It went into the dealer - the car is just a year old - and they had it for a week. Didn't find any faults on Examiner (?) so chose to "lubricate the roof and reset the contacts". One week after getting it back I am still getting this message so am going to call the dealers today and let them know - no doubt that will be another week off the road!

I'm not sure if these are the same problems that you are experiencing and hope that this helps. It doesn't help me!!!

Regards...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had mine for approx 4 months and the hood broke down recently in that it would not retract. Making the usual whirring noises but no movement. Car went to alfa got sorted same day and 'touch wood' hasn't happened since. Afla never did explain what the problem actually was.

Occasionally get the 'hood operation not complete' warning flashing up when i haven't even pressed the button. Have to stop the car and push the button to close to sort it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got an LE, both "flap" motors have been replaced after the hood failed to close, touch wood no further problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had 2 problems with mine.

The first problem was caused by the factory only half filling the hydraulic fluid :rolleyes: Easily fixed!

The second problem sounds similar to yours. First time it was fixed by just clearing the error codes from the computer which lasted for about 2 opening/closing cycles :rolleyes: . Second attempt at a fix involved a visit from ARUK technicians and they fixed it by replacing everything (motors, actuators, the lot). Its been fine since (touch wood!)

The dealer told me that after an entire day looking at the car, the ARUK technicians didn't really know what the problem was so decided to replace the whole mechanism. I do wonder if the lack of hydraulic fluid might have damaged something in the mechanism.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My hood wouldn't raise properly the day after collection. Dealer had it in for a couple of days and replaced motors that power the side flaps (hope this makes sense). Worked fine ever since, but I have that horrible feeling that it will let me down again. Probably will after posting this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greg, I'm not sure which errors you face, but there is an issue with the emergency function of the hood.
In order to relax hydraulics in the case of an error, there is a pull-off in the glove box behind the right seat.
If this handle isn't pushed in all the way (it's a matter of a REAL small movement!), hydraulics do leak.
That can cause several problems:
- tension of the roof becomes weak while parking for a few days
- mysterious error messages while opening / closing
- slow operation (VERY slow)
- no function at all on opening or closing
Solution is easy: Just push the handle in as far as possible.
By the way - check the level of hydraulic.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for this great feedback - keep em coming if there's any more. Alfa's technicians (sent to dealer from head office) in our case refused to replace anything other than the motors (I guess the flap motors mentioned a few times) as they're certain they are are the cause.

Only thing is, we're now on the third pair of replacements, after the previous two replacement motors made no difference. They have a concern that some of the motors aren't all they should be - hence the point of this thread is that I'd like to find out if replacing the motors was a permanent fix in every case except ours - or whether it's common for them to fail again.

It seems to me, from this non-scientific survey, that most owners either have no issue with the flap motors at all, or if they did, the replacement motors did the trick...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had a single problem with the passenger side flap collapsing preventing hood opening. Dealer fixed it. I use it daily it's 18 months old and done 32,000 miles the hood is becoming badly chafed around the rear window but ARUK tech said it was fine!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had my Spider LE since June. Have had no hood problems. It did make a funny noise one day after the hood not being down for a few weeks after all that rain. Just sounded like I feel in a morning, but not done again since, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a problem of hydraulic hose faliures in the roof section above the passanger seat it made a right ol mess but was fixed by Piccadilly and I've had no major probs since (touch wood)

I do odd 'incomplete closure' warnings but just stop and press the button which clears it.

other than that, its fine thus far (7000 miles and counting)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts