Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im hoping someone will be able to help me please. I recently bought a Ragazzon back section for my TS GTV (see here: Secure UK tuning store Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati )
Fitted it and loved the sound to begin with, just was making a bit of a weird noise but thought that might be sorted once the inside had got coked up.
Basically it sounds great ticking over and up to about 2.5k rpm then it makes a kind of hissing or spitting noise pretty much throughout the rest of the rev range!
Took it into tyre and exhaust place as I had trouble getting last join completely air tight, they said both joints were blowing so sorted that out, although its still making the noise.
I knew it was going to be loud as it removed the last 2 silencers but the loudness isnt the problem, its this other noise, sounds rubbish at the moment.
Just wondered if anyone out there had the same problem or could help?

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Ben,

I recently bought and fitted the same pipe to my 3.0, so unfortunately not a direct comparison, I have not had the same type of effect with my set-up but was wondering if the spitting and hissing changes when the car is cold and warmed up?

When I did my initial fit of the pipe, just to see how it all hung together, the clamps weren't fully tightened, but tight enough for a quick start up to check for obvious blows etc. When I fired it up I had a lot of hissing from the second clamp (nearest the tailpipe itself). So I tighted it up a lot and now it doesn't really hiss so much, a little when cold but once warm it seems to seal up (expansion maybe???).

Not sure that's any help to you though, I suspect that the combination of mid section, cat and front pipes that you currently have may simply be creating this acoustic annoyance, swapping these items to see what improves it could be costly though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DRGTV.

Thanks for the reply.
I had the same problem as you with the last clamp/join. As the exhaust place have looked at it Im assuming theres no blows anywhere else. The only original part on the car now is the first transverse silencer box, the rest is stainless. Maybe another silencer would help? But as you say expensive to find out!
Temperature does make a little difference, it does sound worse when cold, but never really gets to what I was hoping for.
Would be great to have a look your car if Im ever in the area.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Is it possible to trace the joint thats leaking ? Maybe hold a hosepipe to your ear and point it at various places?

I`ve just been replacing the back section of mine with an unsilenced pipe, and the joint between that and the center section is very poor, rusty, uneven, crumbly. I gave it a really good blast with a wire brush on a drill, and cleaned the "olive". I also gave it a smear of Holts Fire Gum to hopefully seal the unevenness..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, its difficult to check the whole system just with the little jack Ive got but will try that. And will have a look for some of that Holts stuff if I do find any leaks.
Thanks.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
is it definitely leaking/blowing somewhere? i ask because i have a full unsilenced cat back system on my 3.0 and it makes the same 'bark' just after 2.5 to 3k revs.

personally, i love this noise transition as it makes the car sound really angry. maybe although yours is a 2.0 version, it is meant to sound this way and its the trademark sound of a Ragazzon system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont really know if it is leaking anywhere else, the exhaust place fixed the 2 leaks on the new joins where I hadnt fitted it properly,and the front section and cat is only couple of months old stainless steel too, just the second to last silencer is original.
I couldnt really describe my noise as a bark, I have heard unsilenced ragazzons on the v6 and love all I have heard (albeit only on youtube etc, never heard one in real life) but this is more of a high pitched noise and doesnt sound right to me, its hard to put into words, ideally I would like to find someone with a similar setup near me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ben,

Did you ever get this sorted? I ask because I'm thinking of doing a very similar thing myself but if it doesn't sound right with the twinnie I may have to rethink!

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bonkingbob,

Couldn't find anyone else with the same set up. I've had loads of other problems with the car and its failed its MOT so haven't had time or money to sort it out, its in a new garage now though so will ask them what they think. It is annoying so would like to get it sorted.
All I can say is start at the back. When my front pipe and silencer went I got them replaced with straight through pipe and I couldn't hear a difference at all. The Ragazzon is definitely worth it when you consider the price of standard stuff. I think mine was about £160.
I would say if you are looking for a new exhaust anyway then get that rear section which replaces the 2 last silencers and get it fitted by a proper exhaust place or tuning company. That will make a big difference and if you still want more you can get the centres changed afterwards for not much more if you really want to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts