Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time has come and I need to do something asap!

LPG or diesel.........just not sure what to do!

Diesel means the 166 will be up for sale - really dont wanna do this, just got it perfect and running like a dream!!

Soo I get about 280miles from £65 - £70 from a tank of fuel.

1. On LPG how far would £70 get me?
2. Id like 300miles range, any tank suggestions?
3. Going for the Stag system, any issues so far?
4. Stag premium system will I need any parts - someone said lambda needs adjusting or something a few months back.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Know what you mean mate. Mine is up for sale as I'm doing too many miles now and would rather the car goes to someone who will enjoy it. Not generating a great deal of interest at the moment and am reluctant to cut my nose off to spite my face. It's a shame...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been there mate, had a beaut of a 166 but needed better economy. I changed for a 2.4 159 but a diesel engine just didn't do it for me - even when remapped to 250bhp. After living with the silky smooth Alfa V6 you'll find a tractor engine VERY agricultural and difficult to bond with. After all an engine is the heart and soul of any vehicle.

I'm back in an LPG'd 3.2 f/l and am loving every minute of it, I smile every time I turn the key and hear the purr of the V6.

I'm not sure what make my LPG system is, but it has a 48 litre tank which takes about 40 litres of fuel per fill-up. LPG is around 72p per litre, so it costs about £28 to fill-up and I get between 150 miles urban to 180 miles sensible driving. The only pain is filling up so often, but I've been surprised how many stations actually stock it, BP are the best.

So £70 of fuel would cover you between 375 and 450 miles.

Anything bigger than a 48 litre tank will mean you'll need to sacrifice boot space, as a 48l tank fills the whole spare wheel spare.

With a car the spec/condition/history of yours, I think you'd be bonkers to change to a diesel. LPG conversion wins it every time, if you go for a diesel I think you'll regret it.

James - I'm surprised you haven't sold yours yet, it's the best 166 I've ever seen.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks doesnt it. I'd rather keep it on my drive way then sell it for £2500.

You can buy 166s for £800 with tax and mot - but its no 166! The 166 becomes a true Alfa once you get it perfect, bushes, clutch, suspension etc.......I am glad ive spent the money on it just for the experience - and I hope ill be doing a lot more miles on it!

I really hope I can be doing 600mile weekly trip on £70 a week once converted to LPG......I dont think so, but i ask and try - I cant think of a better car to do those sort of miles on TBH!

If not, maybe a Clio Dci £1500, 60mpg, £30year road tax etc...... Although my run up to Scotland - We did see a lot of french cars broken down - a fair few....upto seven.....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
To be honest, I am just getting acquainted with my 166 Sportronic and while I am very impressed so far, I love my JTD GT for many different reasons - sure it's diesely at low revs, but on the open road, it performs every bit as well as the V6 and the GT is definitely much more to my liking in the corners - but then again mine is remapped, Q2'd and also lowered, so is not really standard any more.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I keep coming back to the same dilemma... not sure if it's worth it to spend thousands buying a newer diesel car when i have a well sorted 166 on the drive that i prefer. I do a fair bit of driving (18k or more a year with about 85% on motorway and A roads. My mpg isn't so bad at 400 miles per tank (62 litres) slightly better in summer to at around 430 or more if i avoid the city. LPG wise 400 miles for £70 still isn't exactly green - although i suspect the 3.2 is a different beast to my 2.5 :D

It crossed my mind a few times if fitting a 2.4 Jtd lump into a 166 is an option? I reckon it could be good for
200 - 250 hp and 40-45 mpg in theory. Anyone know if it's possible or just too expensive to consider?

Hami

·
Registered
62 Posts
Time has come and I need to do something asap!

LPG or diesel.........just not sure what to do!

Diesel means the 166 will be up for sale - really dont wanna do this, just got it perfect and running like a dream!!

Soo I get about 280miles from £65 - £70 from a tank of fuel.

1. On LPG how far would £70 get me?
2. Id like 300miles range, any tank suggestions?
3. Going for the Stag system, any issues so far?
4. Stag premium system will I need any parts - someone said lambda needs adjusting or something a few months back.
In my case is:

1. 500 motorway mile (easy) Last time 242 miles on 40 liters LPG.
2. 60-70 liters will be fine:)
3. No issues. 300.000 km warranty. But go for Landi renzo only 200 pounds extra .
4. ????? You can not adjust lambda sensor.

Regards.

Rafal

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It crossed my mind a few times if fitting a 2.4 Jtd lump into a 166 is an option? I reckon it could be good for
200 - 250 hp and 40-45 mpg in theory. Anyone know if it's possible or just too expensive to consider?

Hami
I'd say it's too expensive and wouldn't be a perfect job. You could always just buy a LHD 2.4 JTD....

Btw, is 40-45mpg realistic? I get around 42mpg in the 1.9JTD, and that's after a remap, which improved the economy. I know that that the economy of the newer 2.4JTDs in the Brera and 159 is shocking - well under 40mpg unless you get rid of the DPF and have it remapped. So I'd say 40-45 even in the older JTDs isn't likely unless you drive like a saint.

Anyway, don't be worrying about bhp in a JTD, focus in Nm :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not sure if you shouldn't go for an alternative car (though DCI clio's are supposed to be a bit troublesome from what i've heard) how bout a cheap TDI VAG of some description to share the mileage.

I don't have a big commute and have a smart roadie as my daily driver... the 166 sits in a lock up and is used at weekends when needed... Admiral multi-car policy makes this not excessively pricey... I'm living in london with street parking, couldn't leave the 166 out on the street.

Have to say that when i use the 166 is a great treat and makes me love it even more.. This route makes it last a bit longer as it doesn't rake up the miles... Will it be a modern classic? Who knows but it's my modern classic.. lol

Not sure if this is an option but worth considering, given the cost of LPG install etc..

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If not, maybe a Clio Dci £1500, 60mpg, £30year road tax etc...... Although my run up to Scotland - We did see a lot of french cars broken down - a fair few....upto seven.....
I wouldn't buy a Clio at that price - you'll throw money at it repairing it once the miles rack up. I think our 120d M Sport gets about 500 miles from a tank of fuel on a 26 mile per day commute and costs about £60 - £65 to fill. £95 a year road tax and 250 Ib/ft of torque IIRC! I know it's a BM but it's an impressive little car to drive, except for in the snow or ice! :D

I got 45mpg today on a 60 mile round trip in my petrol Golf GTi turbo - I was very impressed! Shame it's such a boring car otherwise.

God, I'm boring myself now with this frugal talk - somebody mention 19mpg, Zender kit or something as equally exciting!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
OK , you did ask.... 5.7 hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee, on my short commute it gives a cost-equivalent of 24mpg on LPG. Actual is about 14.7mpg. Still fractionally cheaper to run than the 166 on the same run.

Feeling better Anesh?

:)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you must get a small diesel for the commute, **** everything else and get the 147 JTD. Or heck, get a 1.6TS. I've run it before and loved it. Nowhere near the poke of the JTD mind.

2 Alfas are better than 1.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
around manchester morrisons does lpg 65.9p, and better still are gas suppliers ( where you would get a calor gas bottle filled up) at 65p (always the cheapest) . My 166 is petrol but bought a saab 2.3 turbo which is lpg , very suprised only a 48l tank fits, i had a 60L in the saab spare wheel space

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have a 65 Litre tank on my 166
stag system fitted in May
been to Italy in the summer and Germany for New Year all worked fine with no issues.
great to have the V6 averaging 24MPG yesterday 700 miles from Germany.
I currently pay 61 pence per litre at a local supplier but more usual price is 68-78 pence on the Motorway Services.
I have found that the car handles better after I fitted spring assistors on the back

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've been there mate, had a beaut of a 166 but needed better economy. I changed for a 2.4 159 but a diesel engine just didn't do it for me - even when remapped to 250bhp. After living with the silky smooth Alfa V6 you'll find a tractor engine VERY agricultural and difficult to bond with. After all an engine is the heart and soul of any vehicle.

I'm back in an LPG'd 3.2 f/l and am loving every minute of it, I smile every time I turn the key and hear the purr of the V6.

I'm not sure what make my LPG system is, but it has a 48 litre tank which takes about 40 litres of fuel per fill-up. LPG is around 72p per litre, so it costs about £28 to fill-up and I get between 150 miles urban to 180 miles sensible driving. The only pain is filling up so often, but I've been surprised how many stations actually stock it, BP are the best.

So £70 of fuel would cover you between 375 and 450 miles.

Anything bigger than a 48 litre tank will mean you'll need to sacrifice boot space, as a 48l tank fills the whole spare wheel spare.

With a car the spec/condition/history of yours, I think you'd be bonkers to change to a diesel. LPG conversion wins it every time, if you go for a diesel I think you'll regret it.

James - I'm surprised you haven't sold yours yet, it's the best 166 I've ever seen.
Hi Stuart,

Hope all is well! Yes, sign of the times I think. Appreciate the comment too. The car remains in perfect condition but there is just not a lot of interest out there at the moment. I would of thought that a time-warp 166 would be pretty desirable to some Alfisti and I don't think it's up for ridiculous money but there you go! Just have to play the waiting game and enjoy the car in the meantime. You're right about the silky smooth V6 though - will miss that!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts