Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm refurbing my Brembo Calipers. The pins are jammed in solid. What is the best way to get them released? They are not coming out with the hammer and punch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've also had this issue when changing my brake pads. They were massively stuck, strugeling over two hours to get them out. It really takes a lot of WD-40, and slegde hammer with the hardest punch you got in you. Use a good quality pin punch. If the pin is almost in the caliper, adjust the pin punch size your using. Otherwise the energy of your punch is directed into the caliper instead of the pin.

Just don't give up, after the 100th punch I really believed the thing wasn't going to move, just with the 101st punch it moved a little.

Don't forget to order a new set of pins, since the head of the pin is deformed once your finished.

P

·
0 Posts
If you could remove the caliper from the car, take a grinder and cut them out. The moment there is no more tension on it, they come out of the caliper a little bit easier.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes they are a bugger. Before you go any further make sure you have spares.

A very good and correct size pin punch and heavy hammer. I prefer heavy hammer as I can swing it a lot faster but others prefer lump hammer.

I hit my pins so hard that they started to bend in the middle before starting to move but move they did....... eventually.

As above others have cut the pins in half. A dremmel in situ is good for this. That then allows a little bit of sideways wiggling which can break the bond on the pins and then they can be driven out but make sure you have a pin punch that fits through the hole in the calliper.

Use of coppaslip on reassembly prevents stuck pins happening again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think this is going to end up in Dremmel land!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nightmare, I tend to copper slip the pins, bolts and pad edges every time I remove them. In fact, as a rule, I grease every fastener I ever remove as a precaution. Why the factory don't do this is beyond me!!

·
Vendor
343 Posts
Brembo pad pin kit

As mentioned, most have got good ideas getting the pins out. I would not recommend heating up the caliper though.

We can supply the pad pins £18.00 delivered
This is enough to service a pair of calipers.

Kind regards and good luck

Phliip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts