1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had an email from AR City confirming that the brackets will only allow for 305mm discs so the heading is very misleading because it states using 159 330mm discs but the description of the parts says 305mm discs, so beware if like me you are thinking of buying. I nearly bought a set of 330 calipers yesterday so glad I checked. Think I will stick with EBC drilled and grooved discs I have but upgrade from EBC greenstuff pads to bluestuff pads.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just had an email from AR City confirming that the brackets will only allow for 305mm discs so the heading is very misleading because it states using 159 330mm discs but the description of the parts says 305mm discs, so beware if like me you are thinking of buying. I nearly bought a set of 330 calipers yesterday so glad I checked. Think I will stick with EBC drilled and grooved discs I have but upgrade from EBC greenstuff pads to bluestuff pads.
Mmm ... curious ... thinks will ask 'im what gives. If there's a mismatch 'twixt header and body text, hopefully it'll be corrected.

As said, I'm using Brembo 4-pots (but not 159-sourced) and GTA 330mm discs, with ARC-supplied brackets too.

Like my bloody great anchors :) ...

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm ... curious ... thinks will ask 'im what gives. If there's a mismatch 'twixt header and body text, hopefully it'll be corrected.

As said, I'm using Brembo 4-pots (but not 159-sourced) and GTA 330mm discs, with ARC-supplied brackets too.

Like my bloody great anchors :) ...
Are the calipers you used from a 166? AR City do brackets and spacers for those calipers the spacers allowing for 32mm thick discs. Trouble is used 166 calipers are as rare as hen's teeth as not many for breaking now, those left are well cared for or restored cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've fitted 166 calipers and 330mm discs using the aluminium brackets & although they stop great I'm questioning if the brackets are strong enough being aluminium.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've fitted 166 calipers and 330mm discs using the aluminium brackets & although they stop great I'm questioning if the brackets are strong enough being aluminium.
If the appropriate grade of 'loominum, then absolutely, yes, strong enough (tho it's also a question of thermal stability and stiffness on top of basic strength).

Remember the calipers are 'loominum anyway :cool: !

·
Registered
428 Posts
Are the calipers you used from a 166? AR City do brackets and spacers for those calipers the spacers allowing for 32mm thick discs. Trouble is used 166 calipers are as rare as hen's teeth as not many for breaking now, those left are well cared for or restored cars.
Yeah, mine are 166 calipers ... they are out there. Stalk patiently. Or see what Dave has hiding in inventory?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, mine are 166 calipers ... they are out there. Stalk patiently. Or see what Dave has hiding in inventory?
Are the calipers the same for 310mm and 330mm discs as long as they are from a 166?
And did the kit you used have the spacers and longer bolts for 32mm wide discs and did you need the longer brake pipe connecting both sides of the calipers? Hope they are the same as I have located a pair of calipers, can also get 330mm EBC GD rotors and bluestuff pads for GTA for under £170 new. discount as a race marshal at Silverstone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I nearly bought a set of 330 calipers yesterday so glad I checked. Think I will stick with EBC drilled and grooved discs I have but upgrade from EBC greenstuff pads to bluestuff pads.
I upgraded to 166 discs and calipers using a similar bracket kit. No amount of fiddling with pad and disc material will be the same as the huge increase in hydraulic force from a 4 pot caliper. The TS front brakes are woeful. changing my front has transformed the car and especially how I'm able to drive it. Pick up the phone to him and ask your questions - I'm sure he'll want you to have the right items to get you stopping efficiently.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I upgraded to 166 discs and calipers using a similar bracket kit.
Are the calipers the same for 305mm and 330mm discs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes but with 330mm GTA discs you need the spacers & the longer pipes you mention but they come as part of a kit. It's also very tight clearance. To the point the disc was rubbing off the new powder coat on my calipers.

I had bought 310mm x 28 166 discs but soon realised they don't fit the GTV bolt pattern. I couldn't find 330mm x 28 discs that would fit the GTV so the only option was go back down to the V6 305mm or up to the 330mm x 32 & fit the spacers.

It also bugs me the longer bolts needed that came with the spacer kit are too big and protrude out of the front of the caliper as you can see in the picture. I was going to cut them but I'd had enough by that point.

Also if you want to keep the heat shield it will need parts cutting away & bending to stop rubbing & allow the caliper to meet the bracket flush.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As Aceofhearts says - if you use the 305 or 330 discs then they fit the hub but not the caliper. I did not. I used some new and INCREDIBLY cheap 310mm 166 discs and had the holes reengineered. This means my calipers are exactly right for the disc and didn't need separating and spacing. But I had to have some expensive engineering done.
I posted this a while ago... Upgrading 2.0TS/JTS front brakes to Alfa 166 Brembo...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Out of interest what did it cost to have the holes drilled out?
About £100 - all the costs are in my post from when I did it. the whole adventure cost me £450 including absolutely everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts